SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
RE: S40 17" Alloy Wheels...Please Help Me!!!

I'm looking to replace my 17"x7" "Spartacus" alloy wheels on my 2009 S40 2.4i with FACTORY OEM ALLOY WHEELS.

I've made several calls to dealers and directly to Volvo about purchasing replacement wheels for my car and NO ONE can give me a straight answer???

I've looked on Volvo USA website and it shows about a dozen wheels to choose from, however, you apparently need to go by the VIN # and then you still have no idea which one will work on your car!

I'm looking for the same size but a different design...that's it!
NO Plus 1, NO Plus 2, etc. just the same size with a different design.

PLEASE someone let me know what will work on my car :confused:

Thanx...Mark

·
Registered
193 Posts
Or S60, S80, or XC60 or XC90, far as I know....

The dealer or OEM site will only show you which wheels are intended for which vehicle, but if you look at the specs on all the wheels they're the same offset, bolt pattern, hub bore, everything.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Are you saying you want to replace your current wheels with the same wheels? Or are you looking for different types of 17" OEM wheels?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you saying you want to replace your current wheels with the same wheels? Or are you looking for different types of 17" OEM wheels?
I'm looking to replace the 17x7.5 "Spartacus" Alloys that came with the car with another style of 17x7.5 Factory/OEM/Volvo wheels shown on the website. I DO NOT want to be bothered with
aftermarket and worring about them being "hub centric" etc. As I mentioned, I called several dealers and they told me I have to go by the VIN #.? Then I called Volvo and they honestly
couldn't tell me what would fit and that I have to go to the dealer... I would like to replace the wheels with something used on the C30 which, as far as I know is built on the S40 platform
and the size, offset, etc. is the same...but apparently not! Thanx :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies...I never thought I would have so much trouble finding wheels. Funny thing is I have all the Dealer Brochures for my vehicle as well as the original accessory catalog and believe it
or not it only shows (4) four types of wheels in the book for that year. What's worse is that it only shows three or four in the accessory book and two of them are older style wheels. BTW...I used to
interchange wheels all the time with my dreaded, I hate to say it, VW"s uuuugh NEVER AGAIN!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or S60, S80, or XC60 or XC90, far as I know....

The dealer or OEM site will only show you which wheels are intended for which vehicle, but if you look at the specs on all the wheels they're the same offset, bolt pattern, hub bore, everything.
Your right! Which is why I called Volvo to make sure that they would fit. I had someone check for me and one person came back and said "yes, as long as it shows on the website it will fit", however, when I asked about a certain
wheel they said "maybe" then one person again said "yes" and someone else, who had been there a long time, said NO! I then asked if he or she could tell me what would work and they couldn't tell me other than to go to the dealer.
Bottom Line: "If you buy them and they don't fit...you bought them" Yeah...I don't mind being out over a grand, why not?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your right! Which is why I called Volvo to make sure that they would fit. I had someone check for me and one person came back and said "yes, as long as it shows on the website it will fit", however, when I asked about a certain
wheel they said "maybe" then one person again said "yes" and someone else, who had been there a long time, said NO! I then asked if he or she could tell me what would work and they couldn't tell me other than to go to the dealer.
Bottom Line: "If you buy them and they don't fit...you bought them" Yeah...I don't mind being out over a grand, why not?
Not from the American website, but have a look here: http://www.volvocars.com/nl-be/sale...vices/complete-wheels/Pages/summer-tyres.aspx

Just choose your car and you'll get a list with available rims. The S40 shows 8 different rims (The C30/V50 show the same ones). S60/V60 wheels won't be a direct fit. The new V40 has the same wheel specifications as the S40/V50 thus any of those new rims should fit without a problem on your car as well.

Even easier, but a very slow website, is: http://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac...4-)/2009/2.4i/Manual/L.H.D/List/styling/wheel
It is in Dutch, but you can look at the pictures and click on them to get an idea. It lists all available rims for your car.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's probably more choices than that....any 17 inch rim from any year 05-current S40, C30 or C70 will work on your S40. I have an 04.5 T5 with the 5 spoke 17 in Serapis that came on 2010 S40 R-Designs and it bolted on no problem. All 3 are based on the same platform and share a bunch of parts inside and out. The same wheels have appeared at one time or another on all 3 and all have the same offset and bore spacing. All that was necessary was taking the center cap off of the old ones and placing it onto the new wheels. Because my car is so old, I wasn't trying to spend 2k for new ones, so I found a great place (www.autopartsfair.com) online that sells OEM rims reconditioned with a lifetime warranty. They were about 125 a piece and free shipping if you buy a set of 4 and the finish was perfect and they were perfectly round. I was completely satisfied with my purchase. Just figure out what rim you're interested in and the Volvo name for it and if it's not listed on there by name or by picture, just give them a call and they'll let you know the stock # for them and the price. Hope that helps

·
Registered
193 Posts
The sites you're looking at will vary depending on what model vehicle you pull up, because only certain wheels came on S40s. Therefore, those are the only ones they'll list. But offset, bolt patterns, center bore, all that is the same regardless. XC90, S60, S80, they'll all take the same wheels. Only rule is don't go down in size, so if your car came with 17s, don't drop to a 16. But if you find a Volvo 17" wheel you like, order it. It'll go....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not from the American website, but have a look here: http://www.volvocars.com/nl-be/sale...vices/complete-wheels/Pages/summer-tyres.aspx

Just choose your car and you'll get a list with available rims. The S40 shows 8 different rims (The C30/V50 show the same ones). S60/V60 wheels won't be a direct fit. The new V40 has the same wheel specifications as the S40/V50 thus any of those new rims should fit without a problem on your car as well.

Even easier, but a very slow website, is: http://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac...4-)/2009/2.4i/Manual/L.H.D/List/styling/wheel
It is in Dutch, but you can look at the pictures and click on them to get an idea. It lists all available rims for your car.
Thank you very much...I appreciate it!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's probably more choices than that....any 17 inch rim from any year 05-current S40, C30 or C70 will work on your S40. I have an 04.5 T5 with the 5 spoke 17 in Serapis that came on 2010 S40 R-Designs and it bolted on no problem. All 3 are based on the same platform and share a bunch of parts inside and out. The same wheels have appeared at one time or another on all 3 and all have the same offset and bore spacing. All that was necessary was taking the center cap off of the old ones and placing it onto the new wheels. Because my car is so old, I wasn't trying to spend 2k for new ones, so I found a great place (www.autopartsfair.com) online that sells OEM rims reconditioned with a lifetime warranty. They were about 125 a piece and free shipping if you buy a set of 4 and the finish was perfect and they were perfectly round. I was completely satisfied with my purchase. Just figure out what rim you're interested in and the Volvo name for it and if it's not listed on there by name or by picture, just give them a call and they'll let you know the stock # for them and the price. Hope that helps
Thank you...I've never heard of these guys.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for letting me know about the wheels. I contacted my former dealer, Rick Hendrick Volvo in Charleston, SC. Cara in the Parts Dept. and John Sease in Service have both been extremely helpful in the past and have never let me down and I just want to give a shout out to them for helping me. Apparently I was right from the start! I thought the wheels should fit because they're built on the same platform with the same size hub for each. I did find out that Volvo may be giving out the wrong information in order to deter buyer from purchasing wheels not made for their vehicle. For example: the "Freja" was or is a "special" wheel with the C30 package, therefore it should not be used on a S40? Really? Apparently I've been given the runaround for weeks now and finally I can choose what I want.

Cheers...Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts