SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The paint on our new 2015.5 XC60 felt disappointingly rough just after delivery.

I also noticed on the hood (from new) there was a cloudy spot a few inches from the grill.

It looked like an imperfection in the clearcoat, but I hoped it would go away with a wash.

Following the regime of a friend who collects black BMWs I bought a) Meguiars clay kit and detailing fluid (for the clay) and b) some Zymol wax

On the hood and 2 or 3 panels only I did this carefully, by hand (no buffer!)

I did put a bit of effort into removing the wax with cotton terry and micro fiber "detailing" towel.

The paint felt great - as I would expect it to - but didn't think it looked particularly good or bad. Then today, with a fresh wash and in the bright sunshine, I noticed some hazy marks / fine "spiderwebs" in those panels - - also noting that the cloudy spot on the hood was still there.

Obviously would be very upset to think that the clay regime and/or Zymol could create spiderwebs, especially since it was done by hand, while the cloudy spot didnt even budge. If the cloudy spot was a paint defect, could I take this up with the dealer for a new hood?

Or would any detailing experts know how to assess this situation or eliminate the cloudy spot or spiderwebs?

The car is Savile Grey which I am also learning shows dirt and marks far more easily than our previous V70R wagon in Titanium.

Thank you for any advice and best regards,

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
If you have light imperfections, no clay or wax is going to help.. you'll need to polish it out. If you don't have a good random orbital buffer or the experience either take it back to the dealer or a good body shop.

If you're in North NJ, I'd give you a hand.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If you have light imperfections, no clay or wax is going to help.. you'll need to polish it out. If you don't have a good random orbital buffer or the experience either take it back to the dealer or a good body shop.

If you're in North NJ, I'd give you a hand.
We had some odd spots in our paint, polished it with a DA polisher and some good polish. Followed it up with a full decontamination and a ceramic paint sealant. The paint is silky smooth now!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I did a full detail on my wife's XC60. Wash, clay, wash, dry, taped off, polished and two coats of wax.

All the stains are gone and baby butt smooth.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some new information from a local detailing guy:

- Yes, can all be polished out with a DA buffer and a light compound (thank God)
- Any haze and/or "spiderweb" visible in direct sunlight may have resulted from using the clay (counterintutive to me?!)
- There is definitely a weird cloudy circle in the clearcoat which may polish out but appears to be a defect in the finish of the clearcoat

Thanks for any and all ideas and information.

Will also assume that Meguiars and Zymol are still reputable brands of car products.

I did a full detail on my wife's XC60. Wash, clay, wash, dry, taped off, polished and two coats of wax.

All the stains are gone and baby butt smooth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts