SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: Newer 2016 R-Design XC-60s are now equipped with 4 cylinder T6 Drive-E engines!

So, am I doing something wrong, or is there still not an AWD Drive-E XC60 listed on the US Volvo site, yet we had another whole thread where our resident apologist continues to say the T4 compares well, except it isn't saddled with the performance/economy hit of AWD? Stop feeding the troll.

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
So, am I doing something wrong, or is there still not an AWD Drive-E XC60 listed on the US Volvo site, yet we had another whole thread where our resident apologist continues to say the T4 compares well, except it isn't saddled with the performance/economy hit of AWD? Stop feeding the troll.

Just sayin'.
The XC60 can now be acquired w/ the T6 Drive-E and AWD. They started to arrive in late December.

·
Registered
84 Posts
No polestar yet though :-/

·
Registered
837 Posts
I hope the Polestar tune doesn't dork up the throttle mapping make it overly sensitive per my comments below in my review of the new XC90 loaner we had this week (excerpted below)...

T6 Drive-E Drivetrain - So this was recently the subject of a thread here on the XC60 subforum that went awry (ah, the interwebs) and it was an area I was very interested in. Day one I wasn't that impressed with this drive train, but by day two I came to appreciate it and by the third day, it is fair to say I actually liked it! There are a few keys here. First, the throttle and shift mapping in comfort and dynamic modes seem very reasonable. In many cars, "comfort" modes are overly neutered (i.e. lazy throttle maps and "get into 8th gear RIGHT NOW" shift timing) and sport/dynamic modes are overly aggressive with touchy throttle pedals and "hang in gear forever". The comfort and dynamic modes here seem to do a really decent job in their respective positions and I found myself using both of them regularly. Dynamic mode makes the car drive very "light" - kind of amazing given its size. I actually think a Polestar tune could negatively impact the throttle map and make it too jumpy if they aren't careful. The shifting performance is LIGHT YEARS better than our XC60's 6 speed. Perhaps more interestingly, the shifting in the XC90 of the 8 speed T6 seems better than I experienced in the XC60 T5 Drive-E loaners we have had. It may simply be that the increased torque of the T6 drive-e makes all the difference here (despite being in a heavier vehicle). I also noticed it seemed to shift a tad better as the days went on (no doubt adapting slightly to our driving style). I would really like to experience the T6 Drive-E in the lighter XC60 now. Now does it have the outright pull of our XC60 T6 3.0 liter turbo? No, it doesn't, but it is more than adequate and I just didn't really miss it that much (well, maybe a little bit) in terms of power. I WAS disappointed in the sound quality. It just sounds a bit more thrashy and, well, like the 4 banger it is when under harder acceleration.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The XC60 can now be acquired w/ the T6 Drive-E and AWD. They started to arrive in late December.
Awesome. What's the 0-60? Not interested in wasting my time at the dealer if corporate can't even get off their dead asses and update a stupid web page.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Volvo website hasn't been updated with the 2016 XC60 T6e AWD models yet. But dealers have them already to buy:
Ooh, I like that. T5e and T6e I can live with. "e" for exception. :p

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Awesome. What's the 0-60? Not interested in wasting my time at the dealer if corporate can't even get off their dead asses and update a stupid web page.
Well, even though your comment's tone is a bit inappropriate, here is the 0-60 for the T6 Drive-E w/ AWD: 6.6 secs

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, our dealer, which is pretty dang big, has 60 XC60s. About 10 are T6, about 4 Drive-E (non-AWD). The rest are, you guessed it, real T5s.

Funny 'bout that...

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, even though your comment's tone is a bit inappropriate, here is the 0-60 for the T6 Drive-E w/ AWD: 6.6 secs
Thanks. The 3.2L lost over a second with AWD, so I am quite confident that spec is as wrong as the XC90 one was. Err, actually, to be technical, less wrong, since Edmunds got 6.1s from Volvo and tested out at 7.4. But I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up half a second off.

I assume you meant the language is a bit inappropriate, because I started the thread with the tone. It's called derision, and it has been earned.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
When compared to the other listings, those T6e AWD listings look pretty sketchy.
How are these listings "sketchy"? They clearly state what they are and I've been by the dealer and they are correct.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How are these listings "sketchy"? They clearly state what they are and I've been by the dealer and they are correct.
Well, they lack pictures and don't follow the formatting standard of the other listings. They feel like come-ons, especially since our local dealer hasn't listed any.

But if you saw the vehicles, I believe you.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Well, they lack pictures and don't follow the formatting standard of the other listings. They feel like come-ons, especially since our local dealer hasn't listed any.

But if you saw the vehicles, I believe you.
Not every dealer posts pictures; some are good about and others not so much. The cars were still in transport mode and weren't prepped at all. A lot of dealer formatting is off if you look at several different ones.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Doing my Andy Rooney impression: did you ever wonder what MPG the T6 3.0 I6 would manage if it had evolved to include direct injection technology, a stop-start function and also mated to an efficient 8 speed tranny? Hmm? What if that baby achieved at least the same fuel mileage as the T6 Drive-e, maybe more?

Such an engine exists in the similarly sized BMW X3 xdrive 35i, and it returns 28 MPG highway. Hmm..

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
According to the fueleconomy.gov The XC60 T6 AWD Drive-E will give you 20 city/ 23 combined /28 highway. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Powe...r2=2017&make=Volvo&model=XC60 AWD&srchtyp=ymm

Which is interesting because the sticker spec that I saw at the dealer quoted 20 city and 25 highway.
Yep, I find it very hard to believe that the AWD version of the T6 drive-e only loses 1 MPG..

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=37205&id=36241&id=36243&id=36245

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Also note the meager 3 combined MPG savings the T6-e AWD manages over the old T6 3.0 AWD. That equates to around $100 savings in fuel expense annually (driving 15K miles/yr). So a smaller, less powerful yet more complex and potentially more troublesome drive-e motor, that also sounds and feels less luxurious, nets you a big 100 bucks a year savings. Hmm.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts