SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found your forum and I must say, there is alot of good information/discussion here!<BR>Im looking to purchase a Volvo - either a 95-96 850T5 or R Wagon or 97-98 T5/V70?<BR>Any advice on pros and cons, to assist me in my decision, is certainly appreciated! <BR>(I test drove a T5 Wagon back in '95 and loved it, but decided to pick up an SUV instead.)<BR>Thanks, in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. Here are a few thoughts on these cars...<P>Early 850s are a great performance bargain and particularly cheaper, even in R form. They have the same performance as equivalent later 850s, though possibly higher mileage. As you are in Canada, the one exception would be the 850R with manual transmission. This was not sold in the USA so it is a VERY rare car if you can find one. It is also highly sought after.<P>The V70 T-5 is generally more refined. There are less interior squeaks and rattles and none of the matte black bumper strips to work painstakingly around while waxing your car. Manual versions, while not overly common, aren't that hard to find. I think there's one for sale in the NJ area right now by a user named adamisadam.<P>George

·
Registered
65 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fijisan:<BR><B>Just found your forum and I must say, there is alot of good information/discussion here!<BR>Im looking to purchase a Volvo - either a 95-96 850T5 or R Wagon or 97-98 T5/V70?<BR>Any advice on pros and cons, to assist me in my decision, is certainly appreciated! <BR>(I test drove a T5 Wagon back in '95 and loved it, but decided to pick up an SUV instead.)<BR>Thanks, in advance.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>These cars are all great and offer nearly all the attributes of the SUV craze w/few of the drawbacks. I own the V70R 2000 and couldn't be happier. The 2000 is very much like the 98 and 99 but a little more refined, larger turbo, brakes, and injectors and consequently more power to send thru the 5 speed auto w/adaptive technology<BR>The original 850R's were a rougher lot...buckboard ride and front drive only. The AWD in the 98-up models is a real treat.<BR>Very capable in weather and even improved dry pavement manners. Gun it coming down an on ramp in the 850 or V70 T5 and the front end will break sideways faster than you can say Deductible! do it in the R and when the front trys to go astray the rear wheels power you out of trouble.<BR>All are fun to drive and practical. did mention that I have another 2000R in silver for sale?<BR>Jim<P>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts