SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only owned my RD for about 6 weeks now and I can't figure out where this little rattle, spring like sound is coming from in front drivers side area. When going slow speeds over harsh bumps, the rattle sounds a little like a faint vibration noise from a spring, like from a door stop, if that at all makes sense. It especially happens when the car is cold. I will be taking it in to the dealer for the first service in a couple months, but wondered if anyone else in a S60 has heard a similar rattle/noise. :confused:

I realize most RD owners praise their car for being solid and with no rattles, but this is concerning with only 2k on the odometer. :(

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I've only owned my RD for about 6 weeks now and I can't figure out where this little rattle, spring like sound is coming from in front drivers side area. When going slow speeds over harsh bumps, the rattle sounds a little like a faint vibration noise from a spring, like from a door stop, if that at all makes sense. It especially happens when the car is cold. I will be taking it in to the dealer for the first service in a couple months, but wondered if anyone else in a S60 has heard a similar rattle/noise. :confused:

I realize most RD owners praise their car for being solid and with no rattles, but this is concerning with only 2k on the odometer. :(
Seems like a read a post in the past and there was a problem with the door locking mechanism.....that may be worth checking out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greg, I searched but nothing sounded similar to the rattle I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I had a rattle noise coming from the B pillar. It really was more like a kloncking noise than a creak when going over speed bumps or entering or exiting a parking lot. It drove me crazy. I took it to the dealer twice but they could not fix it. This is the one caused by the door locking mechanism.
The solution is very simple. Apply some grease to the mechanism in the door. I did all four doors and it worked like magic. I really can't figure out how but it worked.
I applied what seems to be a lot of grease so I will let it work it's way in for a week then while off the excess.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Also had some rattles from both the driver's side b-pillar and the sun roof.
They didn't acknowledge the rattle on the b-pillar but I'm going Monday to fix (hopefully) the sun roof rattle...

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had an utterly obnoxious rattle in the space above my head in the S60. It sounded like a spring at times. It would manifest itself when shutting the door and while driving over just about any road surface. When it was finally diagnosed, the solution was to remove my sunroof and replace.

I traded the S60 the following week.

I guess it's luck of the draw. My first S60 was replaced. I wasn't about to allow such an intensive repair on the second one. Most of the other rattles I had were addressed, but the fact that there were so many to begin with was really disheartening.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I had an utterly obnoxious rattle in the space above my head in the S60. It sounded like a spring at times. It would manifest itself when shutting the door and while driving over just about any road surface. When it was finally diagnosed, the solution was to remove my sunroof and replace.

I traded the S60 the following week.

I guess it's luck of the draw. My first S60 was replaced. I wasn't about to allow such an intensive repair on the second one. Most of the other rattles I had were addressed, but the fact that there were so many to begin with was really disheartening.
What year S60???

·
Registered
744 Posts
I had a 2011 and a 2012. The 2011 had Four-C suspension issues. The 2012 had cabin rattles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OH-S60R I live just north of you (Go Bucks) in Michigan I had the same rattle and it is your seat belt clip on the passenger side between the seat and the center counsole. The clasp with the red release button. If the clasp is free to move around and is pushed back towards the back of the seat it will rattle a bit.

To fix push the clasp towards the dash inbetween the seat and the center console where it is snug and the sound will stop. My does it after someone rides with me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OH-S60R I live just north of you (Go Bucks) in Michigan I had the same rattle and it is your seat belt clip on the passenger side between the seat and the center counsole. The clasp with the red release button. If the clasp is free to move around and is pushed back towards the back of the seat it will rattle a bit.

To fix push the clasp towards the dash inbetween the seat and the center console where it is snug and the sound will stop. My does it after someone rides with me.
Thanks, I will check this out ASAP. Did your rattle have a vibrating spring like sound?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts

I get the same rattle sound and that was my fix too. Dealer said they won't replace it because Volvo will say no on replacing the part; I think I need to take a trip up to VCNA and show these guys this is not acceptable for the money I pay.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I get the same rattle sound and that was my fix too. Dealer said they won't replace it because Volvo will say no on replacing the part; I think I need to take a trip up to VCNA and show these guys this is not acceptable for the money I pay.
Why would they replace it, when he said you just move the seat belt clasp down in between the seat and center console? Are you saying the actual clasp itself rattled or did it rattle against the seat?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Why would they replace it, when he said you just move the seat belt clasp down in between the seat and center console? Are you saying the actual clasp itself rattled or did it rattle against the seat?
The clasp rattles, but doesn't rattle in my brother's 2012 S60 T6RD or my wife's 2013 S60 T5AWD; guess it's a hit-or-miss issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The clasp rattles, but doesn't rattle in my brother's 2012 S60 T6RD or my wife's 2013 S60 T5AWD; guess it's a hit-or-miss issue.
Gotcha, my rattle seems to be closer around the front passenger door area.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Gotcha, my rattle seems to be closer around the front passenger door area.
I'm having the same rattle/squeak. drop it to Volvo and let them checked it. They have opened the doors interior decor and tightened up the screws. But the squeaking is still there. they said, if the issue still persist, that might be because the car decor is still new :S. BTW, I tried V60 and S60 "other than my car" and the noise is there as well, so I believe it is a common issue.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I'm having the same rattle/squeak. drop it to Volvo and let them checked it. They have opened the doors interior decor and tightened up the screws. But the squeaking is still there. they said, if the issue still persist, that might be because the car decor is still new :S. BTW, I tried V60 and S60 "other than my car" and the noise is there as well, so I believe it is a common issue.
Sometimes plastics have to settle-in for a couple hundred/thousand miles. I know my 2010 Mazda 3 took about 2,000 miles before some center console (around climate controls) and rear deck stopped making noise; but then again I totally expect an "Economy" car to do this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was it a metal spring like sound?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts