SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a problem with a rattle in the roof of their XC. It sounds like something is rattling against the metel part of the roof and not the headliner. Have had the dealer look it over 3 different times and they can't seem to reproduce it even though we hear it all the time. They have checked the racks and made sure proper gaskets were in place and everything is tight.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: rattling roof??? (k2volvo)

Could the sunroof mounting hardware be causing the rattle? In a prior lifetime, I had a S70 AWD that had a rattle from sunroof hardware that loosened up. It wasn't until 15,000 miles before the hardware had sufficiently loosened that the service techs could identify the source of the rattles.

·
Registered
282 Posts

I second the sunroof rattle concept. My V70 just started getting noisy within the last month and it's a bit loose in the roof. Hopefully, you're experiencing something similar...!?

·
Registered
273 Posts
We have a rattle in our roof and can't figure out where it is coming from. I would actually describe it as more of a click than a rattle though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (kowalcs)

ours sounds like a small piece of hard plastic has been tied to the roof rack and is banging against the roof in the wind as we drive. The unfortunate part is that it will do this on smooth and rough roads and comes and goes at will. Needless to say it never seems to do it when I take it to the dealer

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

The described noises would drive me nuts. If it's only happening in windy or bouncing conditions, take the tech or service advisor on a little road trip to where you know you can duplicate it. One the way back, stop a starbucks drive-thru and get them their favorite drink.

Tim

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (t6tim)

the problem is it happen on smooth roads as well when it's not windy....it is very intermitten but happens in all conditions.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Re: (k2volvo)

Does it do it more depending on the outside temp?

Tim

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ours doesn't seem to be dependent on anything. It happens all the time, under all conditions. I added roof cross bars and thought that it maybe had something to do with that or something to do with having a loaded cargo box up there at one time. That's why I haven't really had the dealer look into it. I figured that they would relate it to one of those two things and send me on my way. Ours is pretty subtle and can be masked by the radio very easily.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts

Any chance this is related to TNN84-11? I had a "buzzing" sound (not rattling) at various conditions. Dealer eventually fixed it by applying the tape referenced in the TNN but they were not aware that the problem had been reported. I recall there was also something about verifying the torque of the roof rail bolts as part of the process...
Had previously posted this issue (as I had experienced it) but could not find the original post to forward. You can find a copy of this TNN at- http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Vol....html
Couldn't hurt to verify this TNN work has been performed. Since I have had the "fix" applied, I now do not have ANY noise coming from my roof area. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts

I WOULD SUGGEST TAKING TO DEALER AND USE TNN TO TIGHTEN NUTS OR SCREWS THAT ARE BACK OUT SHOULD BE .5 HOUR TO FIX PLUS MAYBE NEW SCREWS

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: rattling roof??? (PMA5195)

Grwat, thanks for all the feedback. I'm off to the dealer today to try and get this resolved.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Good Luck- I know I have the exact problem- above 40mph, an itermittent buzz- like plastic flapping on sheet metal. Seems to eminate from the passenger side- anywhere from the roof rack down to where the A pillar meets the hood- let us know how you make out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts