SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rattling noise coming from the rear of the vehicle has now consumed me while driving. It's all I hear. I sat in the 3rd row while someone else drove to locate the sound. It sounds like the rear window itself is chattering (constantly not just when going over bumps). And every little bump causes the plastic interior assembly of the rear door to rattle (quite loudly).

It's very obvious to anyone who rides in the vehicle. My wife asked me if maybe that was just something the car did and I am making too much of it. I find it extremely hard to believe all new XC90s rattle in this way and people just accept it but figured it was worth asking.

Current owners, when you go over bumps does the entire rear door rattle and chatter? I can hear mine easily over music. With music off though it's so loud that I am certain this is not normal.

What would the groups confidence level be in a dealer being able to fix something like this? I just want to maker sure I have proper expectations. Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Current owners, when you go over bumps does the entire rear door rattle and chatter? I can hear mine easily over music. With music off though it's so loud that I am certain this is not normal.

What would the groups confidence level be in a dealer being able to fix something like this? I just want to maker sure I have proper expectations. Thank you all in advance.
No rattling in my XC90 like you describe. If you can isolate the specific area that's rattling and it's constant, the dealer should have no issue sourcing the problem. My experience has been that dealers are good at fixing rattles when you can narrow down where it's coming from for them.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
If you apply force to the window or the door assembly, does the rattling stop or change?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I needed that optimism thank you Reeg! Our vehicles are the same build. Nice taste.

Pushing on the window doesn't help much if at all but I didn't really expect it to because I'm pushing out as opposed to making a better seal on it. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I might have the same problem but I cannot be sure since I don't have anyone else who can drive my car whilst I'm tracking the problem.

I opened another thread with this issue, and I'm quite certain that it coming from the rear door.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Have you tried buckling the rear seat belts to isolate that it is not the belts hitting the pillar?
Are you getting the noise when people are sitting in back buckled in?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the same problem. I removed all the rear storage items and spare wheel. Then I sat in the back of the vehicle while my wife drove. It is coming from the rear drivers side in my XC90. Either in the D-piller or the rear hatch. I picked up a video borescope from work and will take a look for any loose items tonight.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I searched for the rattle for about 45 mins with a flexible video borescope this evening with no definite source. The two locations I am going to tell my dealer to search is in the d-piller and on the rear gate where the wires connect to the heated rear window. All I can say is the rattle is annoying and the only thing that I can do is turn up the music.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I searched for the rattle for about 45 mins with a flexible video borescope this evening with no definite source. The two locations I am going to tell my dealer to search is in the d-piller and on the rear gate where the wires connect to the heated rear window. All I can say is the rattle is annoying and the only thing that I can do is turn up the music.
I literally sat in the cargo area while my wife drove today (I think that's illegal). And I agree with the locations you pointed out. I also have a unique and constant chattering from what I think is the glass.

It is really taking away from my love of driving this vehicle. And make no mistake about it, I do love this car. But like you said the only solution for now is to turn up the music.........which causes the passenger door pocket to rattle:p

I have triple checked that all seat belts are in a position where they cant rattle and compartments are empty. I even took the car seat out which I knew wasn't the problem but had to be certain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the rattling issue over the Thanksgiving trip, was able to isolate it to one of the third row seats. Folded them down and did not hear anything after that. Strangely, the noise started after quite a bit of driving all of a sudden. Planning to get the dealer to have a look at it when I take the vehicle for the November software update.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Double check your sunroof. That was the cause of ours. The rear panel needed adjustment.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Can you keep us update when you get any information from the dealer? :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can you keep us update when you get any information from the dealer? :)
Yes....It will be a week or so. I am waiting for another part to come in...My XC90 was missing paint on one of the rear proximity sensors. They told me that the part needs to be ordered, painted, and then they can install it. I plan on getting this done at the same time as the rattle. I will keep you informed of the findings.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hope this will be solved.
I can tell that this is the only thing I hear no matter what I do .. It's stuck into my head :)

Also I hear some rattle/noise(s) that come from under the pedals. This happens when I'm in the underground parking and I can actually hear all noises. The dealer said that may be a balancing issue. Still annoying. Fell like my XC90 will disintegrate ... :)

XC90 First Edition ~8k on board.

·
Registered
283 Posts
In my case it sounds like the rear door is not closing completely tight and it makes the rattle noise when it vibrates, however I don't think that that is the cause

·
Registered
130 Posts
Make sure it's not the license plate bracket.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I put some cardboard paper in between the no plate and the piece of plastic that it is attached to, and made 0 difference

·
Registered
2 Posts
The rattling noise coming from the rear of the vehicle has now consumed me while driving. It's all I hear. I sat in the 3rd row while someone else drove to locate the sound. It sounds like the rear window itself is chattering (constantly not just when going over bumps). And every little bump causes the plastic interior assembly of the rear door to rattle (quite loudly).

It's very obvious to anyone who rides in the vehicle. My wife asked me if maybe that was just something the car did and I am making too much of it. I find it extremely hard to believe all new XC90s rattle in this way and people just accept it but figured it was worth asking.

I have this exact same thing, did you find the issue? thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts