SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just purchased my 2003 S60 a little over a month ago and when I go over small bumps I hear a rattling noise coming from the back of the car somewhere. I thought it may have been the back panels in the trunk or the trunk lid but I have insulated the panels and secured the trunk lid to stop the rattling but it is still happening! I was wondering if this is something common among these cars. Also may it be something underneath the car, like the suspension?:mad:

Thanks,
Avery

·
Registered
171 Posts
If its a clunking noise over the bumps coming from rear then it can be your emergency brakes on the rear. I had the same problem. Infact i have had it for a while, thought it was the spare wheel in the trunk first, No match after i emptied the trunk. Guys here at swedespeed told its the sway bars. Replaced the entire suspension. The noise was still there. Volvo dealer said they couldn't find anything and heard no clunking noise. Took the car to my local mechanic, he found it. Try this method to see if its really the emergency brakes (in my case it was). Put your car on the hydraulic lift if you have access to one, or just use a jack on one side of the rear wheel. When the wheel is good off the ground hammer the tires and see if you can hear the same clunking noise. If you do, then it is the emergency handbrakes on the rear. Its missing some springs. Get that from autozone for under $10.00.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If its a clunking noise over the bumps coming from rear then it can be your emergency brakes on the rear. I had the same problem. Infact i have had it for a while, thought it was the spare wheel in the trunk first, No match after i emptied the trunk. Guys here at swedespeed told its the sway bars. Replaced the entire suspension. The noise was still there. Volvo dealer said they couldn't find anything and heard no clunking noise. Took the car to my local mechanic, he found it. Try this method to see if its really the emergency brakes (in my case it was). Put your car on the hydraulic lift if you have access to one, or just use a jack on one side of the rear wheel. When the wheel is good off the ground hammer the tires and see if you can hear the same clunking noise. If you do, then it is the emergency handbrakes on the rear. Its missing some springs. Get that from autozone for under $10.00.
Thanks for the tip! Yeah, its a very subtle noise, its doesn't sound scary or anything just very annoying! I did the same thing as far as removing everything from the trunk so I'll def get my car on the lift soon. Could you tell me what type of springs I should buy?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Yeah but it could also be the rear sway bar end links too, it'd make the same noise your describing and the "hammer the tires" test would yield the same result. Just FYI.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for the tip! Yeah, its a very subtle noise, its doesn't sound scary or anything just very annoying! I did the same thing as far as removing everything from the trunk so I'll def get my car on the lift soon. Could you tell me what type of springs I should buy?
This is what you need if its the emergency brakes that's making the noise. For some reason, i thought it cost me under $10. I guess i am wrong.http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Parking-Brake-Hardware-Kit/2002-Volvo-S60/_/N-jhwfzZ8kp0d?itemIdentifier=87486_0_15626_

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hello, I just purchased my 2003 S60 a little over a month ago and when I go over small bumps I hear a rattling noise coming from the back of the car somewhere. I thought it may have been the back panels in the trunk or the trunk lid but I have insulated the panels and secured the trunk lid to stop the rattling but it is still happening! I was wondering if this is something common among these cars. Also may it be something underneath the car, like the suspension?:mad:

Thanks,
Avery
If it happens only on the bumps, I would suggest you check the plate that is suspended halfway between the exhaust and the body.
It is there most probably to keep the heat away from the trunk.
The caps get loos and the plate falls on the exhaust.
Place a thick washer between this plate and the body then tighten it, if this is this case.
I've been there!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts