SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a mechanic look over the front end and he couldn't find a thing wrong with the struts or control arms or stabilizer end rods etc....
Could it be a plastic cover that is vibrating when going over several bumps that are close together?
I dont really hear it when I go over a single bump.
I know the air filter case has broken tabs and on passenger side, the plastic over the CPU has a broken tab. I could just replace them or duct tape them down somehow and see how it sounds. The steering and handling is perfect.
thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My guess is turbo heat shield.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now where is that?
O
I know where the large turbo pipe is.
Is it on the driverside?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Turbo heat shield is the metal plate directly over the turbo charger, on they back of the engine. It's held on by 3 bolts, one of the bolts is spring loaded. Other things to check, the exhaust undercarriage plates could possibly become loose. Also make sure that all of your brake calipers have the metal pad retainer spring piece present and properly attached. I somehow lost one to my driver's front and it rattled something furious going down the street. I had seriously thought that it was an upper strut mount, and replace that only to not have the sound go away whatsoever. I ended up happening to notice that that spring retainer piece was missing and once I put a new one on the rattling went away. It basically holds the pad in tight to the caliper.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just pushing on the top of the turbo shield didn't make a noise. There could be a lower bolt that I can't aspect. Where is the spring located?
I know the brake spring of which you refer.
I looked are are all there. I should use the brakes over thenodebumps to see if cases. If it does it could be loose front break pad holder.
Thanks.
The is a low rumble sound. No sounds when steering or a small bump
Just it several bumps. Like it hits aresonce frequency

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The spring bolt is on the passenger side of the shield, easy to see from the top.
It's possible to be a strut or shock mount, but that's usually heard as a clunking as opposed to a rattling sound. That's usually difficult to visually see unless it's really bad. Another thing that comes to mind is the brake dust shields...

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
end links rattle....
+1. They make a lot of racket when they go bad.

Inner tie rods will make a little bit of noise, too, if there's play. Hard to see movement under the boot, though; you'd likely see it on an alignment rack.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should go to a different mechanic.
Now like a clunking sound.
Not with turning the steering wheel at rest or driving on smooth road.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Metalbender:. Swaybar end links?

Yes. Just replaced mine with IPD HD on all 4 corners, noise mostly gone. Just replaced inner and outer tie rods, both sides, that should take care of any remaining noises.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts