SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know others have had similar issues. I can't locate the source. I have triple checked that all seat belt buckles are not in a spot where they would vibrate. It sounds like plastic on plastic chatter when you go over even the slightest of bumps at low speed. It is either near the back of the sunroof or towards the tail gate. I swear it is getting worse and worse and now it's all I hear when I'm driving.

Has anyone had their service dept successfully fix this?

I'd live with the door pockets rattling from the stereo if they can fix this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know others have had similar issues. I can't locate the source. I have triple checked that all seat belt buckles are not in a spot where they would vibrate. It sounds like plastic on plastic chatter when you go over even the slightest of bumps at low speed. It is either near the back of the sunroof or towards the tail gate. I swear it is getting worse and worse and now it's all I hear when I'm driving.

Has anyone had their service dept successfully fix this?

I'd live with the door pockets rattling from the stereo if they can fix this.
Interesting - i was just thinking i might have an issue and dreading explaining it to the dealer. Is your a low level thump? i.e. low speeds there is like a low pitch "bubbling"?

·
Registered
83 Posts
When were your vehicles delivered?
I wonder if they have made improvements in the current production line so the rattling and roof leaks don't happen anymore.

In any case I hope your issues get resolved, its a lot of money not to have the vehicle delivered as expected.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was able to repeat the sound by taking my fist and giving a firm tap on the sunroof where the 2 glass panels meet on the interior.

The rattle originates just behind the sunroof in the ceiling area.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting - i was just thinking i might have an issue and dreading explaining it to the dealer. Is your a low level thump? i.e. low speeds there is like a low pitch "bubbling"?
No the noise is a "plastic on plastic rattle or chattering" noise...if that makes sense.

Nimbuss I took delivery 1st week in October. I plan on having the service dept take a stab at it when I bring it in for the Nov updates which of course my dealer still has no knowledge of.

If it was a faint rattle when going over a pothole I could live with that. This is a loud chattering noise when going over the slightest of bumps or cracks.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I've been reluctant to weigh in because of this exact thing but since you went ahead, I have this too! Bubbling is exactly it. I'm still loathe to try to explain it to a dealer. Mine is very quiet, basically only hear it with the radio off. And it's hard to pinpoint but seems to relate to acceleration, possibly the suspension under acceleration.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been reluctant to weigh in because of this exact thing but since you went ahead, I have this too! Bubbling is exactly it. I'm still loathe to try to explain it to a dealer. Mine is very quiet, basically only hear it with the radio off. And it's hard to pinpoint but seems to relate to acceleration, possibly the suspension under acceleration.
Exactly - I only hear it with the radio off, and it seems to disappear at higher speeds. but yes i can make it happen by light acceleration even on very smooth roads. It's starting to get to me now though so i think i'll try to explain it to my dealer : )

·
Registered
283 Posts
Rocketair, I'm in the same boat as you, except that I live in Luxembourg and they are not so fluent in English as one can expect.

I have now also removed the triangle from the back door and that still didn't get rid of the rattle. It is driving me a bit crazy now though.

I also though that it might be a loose speaker, but I doubt that we will all have a loose speaker :/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Exactly - I only hear it with the radio off, and it seems to disappear at higher speeds. but yes i can make it happen by light acceleration even on very smooth roads. It's starting to get to me now though so i think i'll try to explain it to my dealer : )
Rocketair and Gc52,
I've noticed a rattling that sounds like it may be very similar to what you've described above - I only seem to notice it at relatively lower speeds with the radio off/low. I haven't been able to pinpoint it, and also have been dreading trying to explain it to my dealer. It almost sounds like it may be somewhere in the suspension(not 4C), but I can't quite narrow down where exactly it is coming from.
Did either of you, or anyone else happen to have this type of rattle addressed and fixed up?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Rocketair and Gc52,
I've noticed a rattling that sounds like it may be very similar to what you've described above - I only seem to notice it at relatively lower speeds with the radio off/low. I haven't been able to pinpoint it, and also have been dreading trying to explain it to my dealer. It almost sounds like it may be somewhere in the suspension(not 4C), but I can't quite narrow down where exactly it is coming from.
Did either of you, or anyone else happen to have this type of rattle addressed and fixed up?
I have noticed when the car is cold, there is a loose, muffled thumping or rattle coming from what appears to be the underside towards the front end.
It's surface (i.e road bump) related so it's almost as if there is a loose suspension component. It dissipates as the car gets warmer. My XC90 has the air suspension.
Any others getting this?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have noticed when the car is cold, there is a loose, muffled thumping or rattle coming from what appears to be the underside towards the front end.
It's surface (i.e road bump) related so it's almost as if there is a loose suspension component. It dissipates as the car gets warmer. My XC90 has the air suspension.
Any others getting this?
I do. Air susp as well. My dealer acknowledged the problem but didn't find anything that needed fastening and will try to spot where exactly it originates by using a "noise finding device" (don't ask, I haven't got a clue what that is!) as soon as the weather gets better (apparently you need to hang it below the car and having rain/snow may falsify the results)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any others getting this?
Yes, Sam818, I have experienced exactly this sound from the front underside. Muffled thumping is good description, and it has certainly become more noticeable with recent cold weather. Seems to improve after the car is warmed up. I also have the air suspension. Very interested to hear if anyone determines the source of this. This topic likely needs its own thread as it is different than the rear area rattling described in the OP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, Sam818, I have experienced exactly this sound from the front underside. Muffled thumping is good description, and it has certainly become more noticeable with recent cold weather. Seems to improve after the car is warmed up. I also have the air suspension. Very interested to hear if anyone determines the source of this. This topic likely needs its own thread as it is different than the rear area rattling described in the OP.
I have the same on mine (with air suspension). It may improve after the car is warmed up, but for me it never goes away. My dealer has acknowledged the noise but have been unable to locate it. I'm soon going back to fix the brakes and they will have another look then.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts