SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is looking at a '98 T5M S70 and he asked me to look at it with him. When the car is idling, there is a sound coming from under the hood, very low like near the drivers side axle, like something is loose or something. I'm wondering if it's something with the clutch (supposenly new). Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Your way short on information for us to help. Did you open the hood? Can you expand on what the noise sounds like? If you think it involves the clutch, does it make the noise with the clutch depressed, or related details to clutch action. Is the sound only at idle?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Are you sure it's under the hood and not under the car? Could be an exhaust rattle too. I would put my head down and look / listen under the car until you pinpoint the location of the sound. But I agree with everything Bob said too.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Here's an odd one, but it could be it. The driver's side splash shield touches my transmission (auto), perhaps the manual box sticks out that far too? I think mine rattles and the transmission scrapes on it when I shift from D to R, making a weird noise.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
You can usually tell if it's the throwout bearing by pushing in the clutch. You can tell if it's the input shaft bearing by putting it in gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts