SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Roberto, this is my first post.

I'm from Romania, and also a long-time member of Volvo-Club Romania. We're not so many as you guys are here, but we all have the same thing in common : Volvos.

Lets get back to my question :

I'm in a quest of getting rid of some rattling noises in my '05 T5 produced by our disastrous roads.
I fixed the creaking seats problem with the all mighty WD40 ( i recommend it ) but now it seems that a nasty, very annoying noise is coming from the passenger side's B pillar, where the seatbelt is coming from. Every time the seatbelt is moving, even just a lil' bit, a nasty plastic sound is made.

I want to remove the pillar's plastic cover but i have no ideea what mounting system it have ? I don't want to break anything, and i didnt found anything related to this operation in Vadis ir AllData software.
So does anyone knows any tips on how to do that ?

Second source of noise, the most recent one is, ( i think ) something in the steering wheel, it might be the cover, or maybe the airbag inside it, wich i heard its a common problem, so i want to fix that too. All i know is that the battery's negative wire must be disconnected and the ignition to be in possition 1 to prevent steering wheel lock.
But again, i didn't found any instructions on how to remove the steering wheel's cover.
Any suggestions ?

Thank you, and sorry for my bad english

·
Registered
502 Posts
To take the B pillar off, remove the "curtain air bag" cap up top and remove the screw. From there it'll just snap out.

There are instructions somewhere on Volvo's site on how to remove the steering wheel. Can't remember exactly where though...

EDIT: While I'm thinking about it, if the squeaking noise comes back, use some silicone spray to stop it as WD40 is only a water displacer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I did that, I removed the screw but I didn't found out how to remove the pillar's cover. How its gonna snap out ? From bottom to top or ? At the lower side what type of mounting it has ? There is no screw or anything but something is holding it, i don't want to break anything. Can you be more explicit ?

Thanks.

About the noise from the steering wheel, I found out in AllData software how to remove the whole airbag module, but I only want to the steering wheel's cap, I thing a connector or something is making the noise, I don't want to remove the whole airbag stuff there, too risky.

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english

·
Registered
502 Posts
Re: (RobertoT5)

I went from the bottom I think. Pull back the door molding and work your way around slowly. Even if you break some plastic snap tabs, they're at the dealership for pocket change.

Are you talking about the controls on the side of the wheel holding the cruise control and radio controls?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (BtownVolvo)

Ok, I will try that.

Well, I really don't know what is causing the noise, but I'm sure its coming from within the steering wheel, I can't say if its the remote's connectors or the airbag package itself, thats why I want to take a look.
And if somehow it is the airbag package, I don't think it a very good ideea to vibrate in there, right ?
I know that the remotes can be pulled out with a flat screwdriver, but I think you stiil need to pop out the steering wheel's cap. Don't know for sure.

P.S: I know the WD40 its not for lubricating but it worked, its about 6 months since i've done that operation and no squeking, and if its coming back i'll use some silicone spray or something. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Re: (RobertoT5)

I've got the same dang issues.

Steering wheel makes a slight rattle. Its the cover for the airbag module, or atleast something attached to it. If I put some pressure on the cover, the noise goes away.

I get the same rattle/creak noise from the passanger area, only I believe its coming from the C pillar, not the B pillar.

Seats also creak/crack/squeak when taking a turn, oddly enough, only once the weather warms up outside though. Doesn't seem to be coming from the lower portion of the seat however.....It almost sounds, and feels like, its coming from somewhere in the middle/back of the seat, around the lumbar support. I dunno.

Its kinda annoying. Although, with the windows rolled down, it all goes away

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Rattling from B pillar and steering wheel - Need help to fix (RobertoT5)

Hello Roberto ... Welcome!

My '06 s40 has the exact squeak in the driver's side B-pillar; mine seems to be temperature dependent. Higher the temp (I live in the desert of California), the more it squeaks. In fact, I only notice it if the car's been sitting under the hot sun for a while.

No fixes for it yet. I just live with it, knowing that cooler temps will cure it. If you find a permanent cure, please post it!

Mark

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Rattling from B pillar and steering wheel - Need help to fix (gtimark)

Ok I did it !

No need to remove the pillar's plastic cover, its actually that little small plastic where the seatbelt is coming from.
Its made of some plastic that doesnt go well with the rubberish plastic the pillar has and especially in hot weather its starting to rattle.

You can remove it very easily with a weatherstrip and all I need to is cover the area that comes in contact with the piilar with something soft, like some very this sponge material or something, I actually used duct-tape
cause I didn't had anything on hand and its working very well. But I plan to use some very thin sponge like the ones used in PC components retail packages, they are very good.

I still need to figure out how to remove the steering wheel's cover in order to fix the last source of noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts