SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much as the title is saying: when roof is up I can hear some small metal part (probably spring or rope clip) rattling on every road imperfection. When sitting in drivers seat it is coming from the rear right side - my guess would be somehwere on the right side of the junction of the middle roof part and the rear window roof part, but can be on both roof parts as it's hard to tell.

As it has been happening almost since the day one I'm hoping someone else also had this issue and managed to solve it, so pls help. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I too have the same issue, but have not been able to locate it. I need to have someone drive while I am in the back seat to check the window trim joints on the back fixed window. I have had the top part way up and found the closest thing I could isolate was this plastic trim at the bottom of that window. That is a long shot because the noise in mine still sounds a bit more metallic (like a spring rope or clip as you mentioned). I have not had my Volvo dealer try to find it. I expect a certain number of squeaks and rattles with the complexity of the top, but I agree that this one is particularly annoying. My current remedy -- try not to listen to it or drive with the top down more often.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too have the same issue, but have not been able to locate it. I need to have someone drive while I am in the back seat to check the window trim joints on the back fixed window. I have had the top part way up and found the closest thing I could isolate was this plastic trim at the bottom of that window. That is a long shot because the noise in mine still sounds a bit more metallic (like a spring rope or clip as you mentioned). I have not had my Volvo dealer try to find it. I expect a certain number of squeaks and rattles with the complexity of the top, but I agree that this one is particularly annoying. My current remedy -- try not to listen to it or drive with the top down more often.
I have found a small aluminium clip that ties the rope end near to a thick black metal part (visible from the trunk). I am not sure this is the cause of the rattle but it is currently my prime suspect. I am not sure what can be done to remedy the problem as the clip cannot be moved, except maybe to glue some smooth thin layer to that metal part.

P.S. Interesting thing is that it doesn't happen every time - it depends how the roof folded when closed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also have the same rattle when the top is up and windows closed. I found that lowering the rear right window a notch fixes the rattle. I am going to get some grease and lube up the seal this weekend to see if it resolves the rattle.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have found a small aluminium clip that ties the rope end near to a thick black metal part (visible from the trunk). I am not sure this is the cause of the rattle but it is currently my prime suspect. I am not sure what can be done to remedy the problem as the clip cannot be moved, except maybe to glue some smooth thin layer to that metal part.

P.S. Interesting thing is that it doesn't happen every time - it depends how the roof folded when closed.

Well, it is not the clip. The rattle increases in cold weather and when going over potholes. Seems like a relatively heavy metal piece is hitting something there.

I will check if this correlates with rear right window and report back..

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
This might sound counter-intuitive but it worked for me on a similar complaint.

Open your roof partially so that you can grab the hooks that engage your windshield. Tug on the hooks forward and backward (parallel to a line running longitudinal in your car). If there is any play, replace those latches.

Also make sure there are 5 e-clips (2 in front, 3 behind) the roller in the windshield header where those hooks engage.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This might sound counter-intuitive but it worked for me on a similar complaint.

Open your roof partially so that you can grab the hooks that engage your windshield. Tug on the hooks forward and backward (parallel to a line running longitudinal in your car). If there is any play, replace those latches.

Also make sure there are 5 e-clips (2 in front, 3 behind) the roller in the windshield header where those hooks engage.
Thank you for traing to help me but I must admit I'm not really following you.

When you say "windshield" are you referring to the front windshield or the rear?

Rattling sound that happens when I hit the pothole is coming from rear right side. I would have to seat in the back while somebody else is driving to try to locate the sound more precisely.

P.S. lowering the rear right window didn't work for me

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yes, I mean the front windshield. That's why I said it's counter-intuitive.

When I was diagnosing a noise toward the rear like you describe, I first went to verify the known issues (the hooks on the front roof panel and e-clips on the windshield), fix them then see how the car responds to that.

Believe me, I certainly was surprised (and glad) that the noise stopped.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes, I mean the front windshield. That's why I said it's counter-intuitive.

When I was diagnosing a noise toward the rear like you describe, I first went to verify the known issues (the hooks on the front roof panel and e-clips on the windshield), fix them then see how the car responds to that.

Believe me, I certainly was surprised (and glad) that the noise stopped.
Thank you, I'll give it a try!

What exactly did you have to replace on your car to stop the noises?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I replaced both of the front roof panel latches and the e-clips.

I'm a tech and it was a warranty repair on a customer car.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I replaced both of the front roof panel latches and the e-clips.

I'm a tech and it was a warranty repair on a customer car.

Thank you for your help. I was looking into VIDA but was not able to identify the parts you are mentioning. Can you please specify the part numbers of the parts you replaced?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lock 31256992 and 31256993.

E-clips 951668
Thank you!

It actually fixed itself when I opened the roof and closed it again. Probably something got loosened as I didn't open it for a long time (mroe then 2 months) over the winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts