SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm thinking timing belt. The vehicle as stated has 95K miles and I do not believe the timing belt has been done.

The "rattle" can be pretty clearly heard when you first start the ingine but seems to subside by the time the RPM's come back down to normal idle range....not totally gone but much quieter.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
start to replace timing belt kit and serpentine kit too.

·
Registered
668 Posts
What do you mean by rattle? Internal to the engine? External?

·
Registered
41 Posts
My '04 2.5T had that start-up rattle too. It went away when the timing belt, drive belt and tensioner were replaced. One of those was the culprit- I suspect the failing tensioner as it was in bad shape.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It sounds more like a metal on metal vibration. And again, it seems to be at start up when the RPM's are running a bit higher to warm the cat. This morning, I got on the ground right after starting and it certainly sounded to be in the downpipe/cat area.

Now having said all of that, I will likely do the timing belt anyhow (especially since all parts are on sale at IPD) . Generally, how many labor hours should this job be if the water pump is also being replaced. Feel like the pricing from my Indy shop was a wee bit high.

Thanks!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Possible that the cat converter is failing.
^^^
The ceramic element in the cat is usually wrapped in a insulation (rock wool is my guess) the insulation can break down and allow the ceramic element knock against the can. Once cat is warm then the ceramic will expand at a different rate than the can and can find a happy place to not make noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you ever resolve this? Have the same model and took to the dealer to diagnose a metal-on-metal rattle at low RPM. They wanted to do $2k worth of motor mount replacements. I said "no, thanks", crawled under it when I got home, and found a loose heat shield on the downpipe. A couple cranks with a wrench (I believe it was an allen bolt) and noise gone.

HTH

-Joe

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
nice!!! at least no major problem there lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts