SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been playing around with a raspberry pi unit and a tontec 7" touchscreen. at first i was thinking of replacing the whole pop up nav screen with this set up. but it would require a lot of cutting up the stock pop up nav mount to make the tontec screen fit.

so how can i hack into the stock 6.5" screen? im not worried about sound right now so all i need is video feed. but it seems like this is all done through ribbon cables with the stock unit.

what do the two connectors on the back of the stock nav do? i am wondering if i could just make a hdmi cable that converts to one of these?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yea after some reading it looks like a waste of time. Off to retrofitting a 3rd party screen into the pop up set up.
I plan on hooking up the audio to the head unit via the Rpi board somehow. But first video.
Stay tuned bc if anyone knows about these Rpi units it's gonna be a sick set up.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
i have been playing around with a raspberry pi unit and a tontec 7" touchscreen. at first i was thinking of replacing the whole pop up nav screen with this set up. but it would require a lot of cutting up the stock pop up nav mount to make the tontec screen fit.

so how can i hack into the stock 6.5" screen? im not worried about sound right now so all i need is video feed. but it seems like this is all done through ribbon cables with the stock unit.

what do the two connectors on the back of the stock nav do? i am wondering if i could just make a hdmi cable that converts to one of these?
Something that has a can controller you may fine useful in the future. Chipkit for example. The stock HU uses LIN for data iirc

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Basically what i said CAN lol

To correct, the radio uses can for SWM input and output for GMS phone, something not really stateside.

I have CAN logs from the SWM for 05 it's on HS CAN.

Converting the original display to NTSC is a simple task via lin bus

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Well I can see why there wasn't a step 3 picture, the Yukon Jack bottle was empty.
Time for a refill. :beer:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
How do you like the pi2? I really want to get one because I feel I need to expand my knowledge of computers....which is none

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I have a Pi2 running as an OpenVPN server. It's nicely built, cheap and stable. I never had a Pi 1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts