SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving today my brake pedal went to the floor.
Turns out the copper? Brake line that goes from the booster to ABS pump developed a hole caused by a rub.
Now every time I hit the brake a little brake fluid squirts out.

What to do? Is it easy to replace? Or do I just tow it to a shop? Any way to temporarily weld it? What is this pile made out of anyhow.

Or....do I sell it and lease a Golf R?

Thanks

Video
http://youtu.be/nWa61YuMUqw

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I guess your brake line is now in Heaven. Hahaha.

But seriously, it should be a replaceable hard line.

Is that a Snabb Intake/Hose clamp that was banging on it?

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess your brake line is now in Heaven. Hahaha.

But seriously, it should be a replaceable hard line.

Is that a Snabb Intake/Hose clamp that was banging on it?
Yes...I installed it poorly...completely my fault

Don't want to get dirty and try fixing it, which is why I decided to do the unthinkable and take it to a shop

Btw if I crushed that line would brakes still work? I could then drive the car to a shop instead of a flatbed

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If you are not comfortable fabricating brake lines, send it to the shop.

Also make sure they don't hack it together with compression fittings, which is illegal in NYS btw lol. Best to have an entire line fabricated instead of using a union fitting too..

You could use vise grips to crimp it off so it won't leak terribly to just get it to the shop.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Lease a golf R? If you are going new, Focus RS all the way!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If it is the brake line from the master cylinder to the ABS unit, replace it yourself. Make sure you use a flare nut wrench. You can get used line already bent to form. If it is any other brake line take to dealer or repair place that deals with cooper line brass fitting brake lines. Glück.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Get NiCop lines. Super easy to bend.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I don't dare watch that video...compression fittings are dangerous.

A union fitting is acceptable since both ends of the line are flared, but not recommended. Think of how much pressure that line needs to hold.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If the line could be pulled far enough out to do it, I'd cut a short section out, put some flare nuts on and flare it and put it back together with a short union, which is the right way to do it, repair wise.

If not getting another line is your only option. May even be able to buy that line all computer bent as it should be from volvo.

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dropped the car off this AM; drove 22 miles with no brakes! Lol ...just engine braking handbrake...when I got to the shop the brake pedal dropped to the floor....

Temporarily I wrapped JB Weld on the pipe - seems to not have helped at all..haha

Nick over at Highbloom Auto in Nutley NJ is the best Volvo mechanic straight down! Anyone reading this who's from the area should use him.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Glad to hear you're getting it taken care of professionally by someone who knows Volvo. Not saying that you don't know Volvo, but someone who works on them everyday probably has some more skill. No hard feelings!

·
3,899 Posts
Focus RS or Audi Rs3... forget the golf R. 5 pots all the way!

·
3,899 Posts
What a bummer, thought they would make it just like the 09 and keep it Volvoesk :D

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Make sure to wipe away any brake fluid so it doesn't eat any paint

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Dropped the car off this AM; drove 22 miles with no brakes! Lol ...just engine braking handbrake...when I got to the shop the brake pedal dropped to the floor....
I shuddered when I read this. Please don't do that, towing really isn't that expensive, and if you think it is, towing insurance is even less expensive.

Please don't drive your car like that in the future.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I don't dare watch that video...compression fittings are dangerous.

A union fitting is acceptable since both ends of the line are flared, but not recommended. Think of how much pressure that line needs to hold.

80 bar is no joke...

·
6,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quick update on this for those who care

Got the car fixed - she's good to go.
I had Nick also flush my coolant, replace power steering reservoir and replace a sensor in the brake booster which was giving me issues for over 2 years...turns out it was just a simple sensor issue.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts