SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Hopefully some one can help me out.
I have a CEL code p0133, and random misfire cylinder 3&4.

In the past year (30k km) I have changed,
both 02 sensors.
Rotor, cap, wires, and plugs. ( wires are NGK blue, plugs are Volvo oem)
And the MAF.

I know I have a whole in my cat so that would contribute to the p0133.

I just don't understand the random misfire.

For the most part the car runs great. The only times I notice the misfire is when I pull up to a red light or a stop sign, maybe once when slowing down in traffic,

I can't reproduce the issue. When ever I try and get it to stutter it never does.

It's similar to the problem I had with the MAF but no where as bad,

Any thoughts? If I've left out some info let me know I'll gladly add anything I can.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
so you're a 98?

clean the idle air pump.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woops. Should have mentioned that.
Yes s70 1998 base NA. I cleaned the IACV when I was dealing with my MAF issues

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
could be a momentary drop in fuel pressure, how severe is the misfire, can you actually feel it?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feel like the car stutters for a second while I'm stopped or pulling up to a stop like its going to stall. I can see the rpm drop from 900 to around 500 then it catches itself

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Ever replaced the coil?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry if it sounds really uninformed, which coil would you be referring to? I know on some models there are coils instead of spark plugs.

Would you be able to post a link referring how to check if it's bad and/or how to change it?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You have a single coil, later cars have a coil on each spark plug, not instead of each sparkplug.

Anyways, the CENTER wire from your distributor goes to your coil. The coil is just above the right side of the air box.

IPD makes this upgrade, I recommend it but it's a pretty tight fit on the install. If you want to stay stock, Tasca sells the stock coil for the same prices as this upgrade one from IPD.

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5054/112552-ipd-msd-ignition-coil-upgrade

Worth doing since you've done the rest of the ignition system. Coils DO fail over time, pretty common actually.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for the info, my next day off I'll bench test my current coil and see what happens. I'll update when I do

1 - 11 of 11 Posts