SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a 2015.5 S60 T5 with about 28k on it about 9 months back and have driven it up to about 49k so far (thankfully, my commute has been cut to about 7mi/day).

A few months ago, it had a weird little stumble while I was coming to a stop. it didn't shut off or anything, just a clear misfire- with no CEL or pending code, either. Just a momentary glitch that I was unable to repeat. Thinking it might be the auto/stop start (which had not worked until that point) having a battery issue, I went and got the battery replaced (which actually made the stop/start work again). I had no issues after that.

This past weekend, it did it twice while coming to a stop- the first time, I was making a turn and it stumbled pretty hard. Second time, I was coming to a stop at a red light and it stumbled so hard that I thought it would cut off- it was noticeable to everyone in the car and the CEL came on for about half a second.

I checked the codes and pending codes, nothing. I did have a 19 misfire count on one cylinder (apparently not enough to throw a code) while the rest were just 2-3.

After this, I drove straight to the only store that had any plugs that would fit (a bad idea, maybe??) and threw some PLZKAR6A-11 (5118) NGK Laser Platinum plugs in. The Volvo plugs that were in it were probably original- they look like they might be a slight bit cold, gap was slightly large (age/use I imagine), but nothing really worrisome for 50k worth of driving.

They work, but I don't think they are the right temperature, and I am not sure if the issue is resolved. I took a drive during lunch of about 2-3mi roundtrip and I had 1-3 misfires on all cylinders afterwards, though I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. If I sit there and blip the throttle, it does get a bit rough, and there is a very mild vibration about 2k RPM.

The car drives and accelerates fine, it just has that issue while coming to a stop. Anybody think they can help me here?

NINJA EDIT: the car burns like 2/3 a quart of oil in a regular 10000mi interval. I was using Castrol Edge Professional 5w-30 with Volvo OEM filters but the last oil change (performed this past week) was with Valvoline Synpower Professional 5w-30 and a Wix oil filter.

·
Registered
860 Posts
All early Drive-Es came with "bad" plugs (they aren't all bad, but there were enough that Volvo issued a Technical Journal EDIT: Service Action). It didn't amount to a full on recall, but any owner complaining of a misfire can get one set of new plugs free (if you are still on the original plugs). If you haven't already been to the dealer (it sounds like you haven't), I hate to say it, but you wasted your money on those new aftermarket plugs. Call your dealer, tell them your issue and that you heard the 2015 Drive-Es have a spark plug recall (that's not what it's called, but they will know what you mean). They should confirm and then you can put your old plugs back in and get a new set of OE plugs for free. If you still have a misfire issue after that, then proceed to the next diagnostic step.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
All early Drive-Es came with "bad" plugs (they aren't all bad, but there were enough that Volvo issued a Technical Journal). It didn't amount to a full on recall, but any owner complaining of a misfire can get free plugs. If you haven't already been to the dealer (it sounds like you haven't), I hate to say it, but you wasted your money on those new aftermarket plugs. Call your dealer, tell them your issue and that you heard the 2015 Drive-Es have a spark plug recall (that's not what it's called, but they will know what you mean). They should confirm and then you can put your old plugs back in and get a new set of OE plugs for free. If you still have a misfire issue after that, then proceed to the next diagnostic step.
You can't just complain of a misfire and get plugs. The plugs are replaced for free whether there is a complaint or not on vehicles with the service action open, like a recall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then I imagine they were replaced before, because I typically take it to the dealer for oil changes (unbelievably, there is a Volvo dealer in Marietta GA that does full synthetic oil changes cheaper than anywhere else I've ever seen...). That concerns me, if they were definitely changed before. The plugs I removed have the number ZXE24HLR7 on them.

I'm not worried about the $40 for the plugs, because I planned on changing them ASAP- the overly large gap will cause them to have issues in a much shorter period of time than the stock ones, I know that, I was just very worried about potentially stalling in a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
860 Posts
You can't just complain of a misfire and get plugs. The plugs are replaced for free whether there is a complaint or not on vehicles with the service action open, like a recall.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that a complaint equaled new plugs. I meant that if you are still on the original plugs and complain of a misfire, you will get new plugs free. I will edit my original post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
They were indeed replaced in November 2017 by Volvo, so I am out of luck on free plugs. I'll order Volvo ones and see if there are any issues.

These new plugs, just FYI, seem to run alright- no preignition/knocking under hard acceleration or anything. Haven't seen enough miles to look at fuel mileage yet. (edit: also I'm seeing maybe 1-2 misfires logged total on my like 6-7mi commute, but these are imperceptible. I imagine any vehicle will have 1-2 misfires logged after driving)

My previous car was a 2.0T VW that was flawless minus one coil going out at like 70k- they were known issues and have been for ages in VWs, so most people just replaced them all when one died, like I did. Are these Volvos known for that? Is there a good way to test these coils with a multimeter?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car continues to do this- the stumbling seems to exclusively occur when coming to a complete stop after a long (100mi+) trip. No codes, still. Any ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, also- it seems to be entirely unconnected to AC or stop start, if that helps.

Putting it in neutral doesn't clear it up either. I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Vacuum leaks can create symptoms like these. I have no idea if it is likely in your case and have no suggestion about where to look.

All I know is my father was a mechanic at the corner gas station and he spent many a day replacing GM intake manifold gaskets to resolve similar complaints.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts