SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 XC 60 T8 ER

I get a message every once in a while that the ESC has turned off and ICE comes on and stays on. Mostly random - can't tie it to any specific condition.

The only thing I've changed recently is plugged in a nationwide insurance "smartride" monitor into the ODB port. Basically, it's a small cellular device that you drive around with plugged in for 3-6 months that monitors your driving habits and provides a discount for safe drivers.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Electronic Stability Control.
The stuff that prevents you from spinning out.
Some manufacturers call it Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and some call it Vehicle Stability Control (VSC). I guess other acronyms might exist.

OP - not sure what is going on here. But I do recall, on my XC90 T8, a couple of times getting a warning about ESC triggering when the car was in "pure" mode - that will immediately kick in the ICE, to give power to all four wheels. But that message was not about ESC turning off - it was about ESC intervening to prevent the car from spinning/sliding. Are you sure you are not misreading the message?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
2022 XC 60 T8 ER

I get a message every once in a while that the ESC has turned off and ICE comes on and stays on. Mostly random - can't tie it to any specific condition.

The only thing I've changed recently is plugged in a nationwide insurance "smartride" monitor into the ODB port. Basically, it's a small cellular device that you drive around with plugged in for 3-6 months that monitors your driving habits and provides a discount for safe drivers.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight.
I think that device in OBD port is a problem for you.
Since this is a universal device, it is probably a real problem in central electronics because each manufacturer has a different system
All modern cars use OBD port, but have different protocols for accessing individual modules so there are differences, so with one universal OBD reader you can not access all modules VW, MB, BMW, Volvo .......
Turn it off, drive the car to see if you get those messages again

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can confirm - The Nationwide SmartRide device is causing the car to randomly turn OFF ESC and immediately turn on the ICE in an odd and jerky way. ICE only turns off when you shift in Park and turn off the vehicle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can confirm - The Nationwide SmartRide device is causing the car to randomly turn OFF ESC and immediately turn on the ICE in an odd and jerky way. ICE only turns off when you shift in Park and turn off the vehicle.
I can't imagine anything good (technically, politically or long term financially) by plugging that in. Likely causing a signal issue / error between your modules.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't imagine anything good (technically, politically or long term financially) by plugging that in. Likely causing a signal issue / error between your modules.
I've done it before years ago. It's quite painless (if you're a good driver) and got an extra 20% discount on car insurance. Now the discount max is 40% so def worth it. I mailed back the devices and now it will be done through our phones instead. From a privacy perspective- I've gone both ways on it. Just carrying around your phone is such a huge privacy violation - I don't care all that much if my insurance company knows where I go as long as there is value for me in the end.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Unfortunately, these universal modules and programs for several types of cars have never worked in all cars

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've done it before years ago. It's quite painless (if you're a good driver) and got an extra 20% discount on car insurance. Now the discount max is 40% so def worth it. I mailed back the devices and now it will be done through our phones instead. From a privacy perspective- I've gone both ways on it. Just carrying around your phone is such a huge privacy violation - I don't care all that much if my insurance company knows where I go as long as there is value for me in the end.
I'm glad you find value in it. Definitely not for me.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I for one am not concerned about privacy.
But I am concerned about giving insurance companies ammo. The few times I had serious money involved with insurances, they have used every excuse and trick in the book trying not to pay. I just don't know if this kind of constant monitoring will give them more excuses. Granted, I am old, and drive accordingly, so it's not like I have reason to hide my driving habits. But I also know how easy it is to distort data.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts