SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
May or may not be related. Wife thought there was plenty of gas in the vehicle, I drove to work and basically ran out on the way to the station (sort of). I went to the store first, which was right next to the station.

En route to the station, the car seemed to run fine, though it seemed to miss twice on the way and then died right in front of the station.

After I got some gas in it, it didn't seem to want to start. Started after a few moments, during which I drove to the station, but the CE light is now on (and has been since).

It seems to stumble every so often at this point. The idle itself seemed to be fine for me on the way home from work today (as far as holding), though it did die once at the stoplight. The wife drove ~35 miles to take our son to a dr's appt and said it didn't seem to hold an idle on the way back.

I figured there was just some air in the system and it would need to be bled, but am not finding anything to help me. Clogged fuel filter also occurred to me. Found some reference to ETM, as well.

Am I close, or way off base?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much fuel did you add at the station? AWD or FWD?
prolly half gallon-ish to start (I had 12 bucks cash on me and it was a $10 deposit for use of their can). Then I put the $10 in when I drove it over.

Put another $15 in it today.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I'd assume that's enough fuel to cover the sending unit then, and eliminate fuel level as a problem. Get the code(s) read and post them up. It could be a MAF sensor or ETM issue as well, but it'd be odd that they came on right when you ran out of fuel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd assume that's enough fuel to cover the sending unit then, and eliminate fuel level as a problem. Get the code(s) read and post them up. It could be a MAF sensor or ETM issue as well, but it'd be odd that they came on right when you ran out of fuel.
That's why I originally went with the fuel pressure issue (or dirty fuel filter). I expected the CEL to go off once I got fuel back in it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
K, well it seems I've ruled out the ETM, since my is a 98 and ETM came on 99+ (my fault for not stating year in the first place). However, the issues sound quite a bit *like* ETM issues. It seemed to be hunting for gears, didn't want to really hold an idle, and was generally running like ass. I was able to get it to start the majority of the time by cranking and cranking while pumping the gas, then feathering the gas once it started. THEN, I would have to hold the RPMs while putting it in gear (auto). Yes, I know it's probably not good on my tranny, but I had my kids in the car and was taking them to school.

One thing I *did* figure out that seemed to help was manual downshifting to keep the RPMs a little higher. Generally seemed fine when the RPMs were up (until I put more gas in and it was seeming to hunt gears). Not sure where to go from here.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Fuel filter may be clogged? Running your fuel tank dry is never a good idea. Try resetting the ecu by disconnecting the battery for a little while.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel filter may be clogged? Running your fuel tank dry is never a good idea. Try resetting the ecu by disconnecting the battery for a little while.
I know it isn't; I didn't realize just how low it was. I'm starting with fuel filter, and was going to d/c the battery to see if it possibly is in limp home mode.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I know it isn't; I didn't realize just how low it was. I'm starting with fuel filter, and was going to d/c the battery to see if it possibly is in limp home mode.
Sounds good, hope it's just a fuel filter issue.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like burnout nailed it; MAF issue. Throwing code PO103 (I think). I know the 103 is correct. Unplug the MAF, it's fine. Leave it in, it runs rich (and crappy).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts