SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had two things bounding around in my mind lately, one is some additional nighttime visibility and the other is what to do with my the holes for my now deleted headlight wipers.

I haven't liked the expense or the difficulty of upgrading the R headlights nor the limit of trying to squeeze something more into the low mounted fog lights either.

For that reason I've been thinking of adding some tasteful rally lights mounted below the headlight holes, right in front of the bumper bar. After having my bumper off and inspecting it I see it provides a good option for mounting some lights and routing the wiring to some 5" flat profile, high output, led rally lights, like the PIAA LP550.

Hopefully it will help keep me from running into any elk or deer around here and in my opinion might look pretty good too.

Thoughts, opinion, input, etc, etc? lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
People do that up here all the time. On all kinds of car. 99% of the time it looks pretty hillrod.

I think going as wide as your headlights wouldn't look that good. A better option could be to tuck them into the edges of your intercooler opening.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
The Driver has found a set of LED foglights that are basically plug and play... I'd do that or 55w HID fogs before I put rally lights on an R. Messes up the entire front fascia like license plate brackets. If you want better light you can swap the D2R bulbs for D2S...

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The Driver has found a set of LED foglights that are basically plug and play... I'd do that or 55w HID fogs before I put rally lights on an R. Messes up the entire front fascia like license plate brackets. If you want better light you can swap the D2R bulbs for D2S...
I have a set and they aren't really plug and play. You have to wire them together as the plug that comes with them are too big. As for how he mounted them...still figuring that out as they will not sit flush. Also not sure how to remove the passenger side fog bracket without taking off the bumper

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm here in CO where I have to clutter up the front fascia with a plate so I would just be adding to the theme, lol.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would do the projector upgrade in the factory lights instead.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
One thing I have had on my mind for a while now is buying a set of the "cheap" projector headlamps that have the LED DRL's that fit our headlight openings, but are not plug and play on the R, then wiring them up to work the correct way with spare Volvo bits from the J yard.

Throw away the junk halogen bulbs they come with and then retrofitting a good HID projector and HID bulb into them, or even doing one of the good plug and play HID kits from The Retrofit Source.

That would not only give you a good projector based HID setup with correct cut off on low beams, but you get a separate high beam as well.

Depending on how much you wanted to spend, you could build a kit with a good projector low beam hid, and a 55 watt plug and play setup on high beams for when no one else is around to worry about blinding, and still not spend half as much money as the BS OEM Volvo Euro headlights with separate high beams instead of our gay DRL's.

EST sells them as well. http://www.eurosporttuning.com/volv...tor-headlamps-with-led-drl-lights-chrome.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts