SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(putting flame suit on first) Anyone ever use your coilovers to raise your car above stock ride height? :eek:
Elevate claims their coilover kit allows you to raise your car 3/4" above stock ride height. Anyone out there using the Elevate system?

If you have an AWD S40 or V50 like I do you're probably asking 'isn't the stock ground clearance MORE than adequate?' The only reason I ask is because we travel some pretty sketchy fire roads around here in the summer and snow covered roads to access backcountry terrain in the winter. Having a little extra clearance is always helpful. I just don't want to rock the Land Rover look year round. We can only afford one vehicle to do all things.

We're very happy with our V50, but I've been on a mission to do a suspension upgrade since day one. Just looking for some feedback. Cheers:beer:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That'd be awesome, there are some roads out by my place that I want to take, but I'm a little scared to do so a stock height. Have you thought about keeping the stock components and adding strut tower spacers? They'll give you more clearance, but the same travel, I think clearance is all that you care about. This combined with some decently sized tires could make a really fun ride. Might want to hit up outback or forester forums, I know there's a special breed of Subaru owners that lift and offroad their cars.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
interesting. get the ipd aluminum skid plate too. the oil pan is low on these cars.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
well, umm... a rallye-kinda-V50 would be awesome! and since your car is AWD, I'd say go for it. :D with roll cage and all the fancy stuff ;)

just kidding. there are also some "raising-spacers" (not sure how to call them correctly) for sale here in germany. manufactured by weitec, they cost around 50 bucks.
not sure how this affects the rest of the suspension, though.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Raise that car, put a skid plate on it, mud flaps, and PLEASE badge it as an XC50 and see if anyone notices :D
Nobody will. Non-Volvo ppl are oblivious. You may as well be driving an invisible car for as much as they notice any Volvo.

One thing to keep in mind with any crazy lift is the cv joint angle. One thing that shortens a cv's lifespan is constantly running at an angle. I know someone is thinking "Elevate coilovers + spacers = MORE lift!" and that someone may be right. But there may be issues with cv angles with too much lift.

Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Non-Volvo ppl are oblivious.
85% of Volvo people are oblivious too, including many Volvo dealership/service employees...
The other 15% are on SwedeSpeed ;)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Just realized, if you're going to be off roading, wouldn't you want to stick with the stock shock/spring set up as it more forgiving than a coilover set up? Unless you're planning to go as far as re-valving the set up.

The XC50 idea is perfect! I think it's the little things that can make a project awesome.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
85% of Volvo people are oblivious too, including many Volvo dealership/service employees...
The other 15% are on SwedeSpeed ;)
Too true.

Adrenaline has a good point. But it sounded to me like the op wanted a do-all car, not a baja racer with uber-soft suspension.

Turns out there's not much need for that flame suit, huh?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Turns out there's not much need for that flame suit, huh?
Haha, I was thinking the same thing. I think we're all really interested in doing things differently here, its a great board for that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great responses guys!

I think we're all really interested in doing things differently here, its a great board for that.
That's exactly why I love Swedespeed and why I've been a member for 8+ years. What an amazing source of info and ingenuity.

The other 15% are on SwedeSpeed
+1 on that!

The XC50 idea is perfect!
Stay tuned for a little Photoshop magic.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I kinda wondered myself.....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I cracked my oil pan yesterday :mad:
I definitely would like to know more about how other projects on raising s40 went... :beer:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
once i get the kw's, ill spin them all the way up. ill let you guys know how high they can go. im hoping a little higher than stock.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We use to raise the Foresters on BC Coilovers to from slammed to over stock riding height. Worked well, however I dont know how much abuse they would take.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Is there anyways to raise the rear of my car by half inch or so...

crossie talked about some spacer are they available to buy somewhere ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts