SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I missing something or is it a huge pain in the ass to raise the third row? I know you can’t have the second row reclined but I find that I have to crawl in the trunk and grab it to pull it up. My old highlander had straps that I could pull. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
The sales man moved the second row and pushed the third row up from the Second row. He made it seem easy enough but I’ve never tried it as I haven’t taken delivery yet

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Am I missing something or is it a huge pain in the ass to raise the third row? ... but I find that I have to crawl in the trunk and grab it to pull it up. Am I missing something?
You're not missing anything. Initially i thought it was a pain. But now i either
  1. Open the 2nd row door, fold down flat the outer 2nd row seat, grab the folded 3rd row head-shoulder part of the seat and underhand throw it upwards as quickly as I can like my life depended on it. I've the got the technique (and workout) down pat now so it's easy.
  2. Lean into the trunk from the open trunk (no crawling involved), wedge my hand in between the two folded down 3rd row seats, preferably as far as i can reach away from the 3rd row seat hinge point, then pull as quickly as I can like my life depended on it. I've the got the technique (and workout) down pat now so it's easy.
Should it be this difficult? Probably not. I'd be happier if Volvo put in something though (a velcro-able strap so it isn't flopping all over the place?) to make it easier. Otherwise I'm ok with an arm workout :) (But it does make me wonder why meticulous / ergonomic Volvo would leave this as it is. Hmmm . . .)

I know you can’t have the second row reclined
Not sure what is meant here. I'm able to recline all three seats in the second row.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha. Nice method. I normally have the second row reclined a little bit and I have to make them upright or the third row won’t fold up. You probably don’t notice that because you already have the second row forward. However, I run with 1 car seat and 1 booster on the second row so your method would not be the easiest for me. I might make a simple strap that ties onto the third row headrest so you can pull it up. I normally have a weather tech cargo liner in there that would sit on top of those straps.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I normally have the second row reclined a little bit and I have to make them upright or the third row won’t fold up. You probably don’t notice that because you already have the second row forward.
You are correct, I moved the 2nd row forward so I can, at any time, drop or raise the 3rd row.[/QUOTE]
However, I run with 1 car seat and 1 booster on the second row so your method would not be the easiest for me.
I've got 1 car seat in the 2nd row too, and my oldest sits in the middle integrated booster seat. Luckily the entire 2nd row is forward enough to not interfere with 3rd row movement.
I might make a simple strap that ties onto the third row headrest so you can pull it up.
Please definitely share what you end up doing as I'm sure many, like myself, are very curious - thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I figured it out. I started with a couple extra duffel bag straps I had laying around.

Then I cut the clips off because they would be in the way and prevent the cargo liner from sitting flat.

Then you put the loops over the third row head rest and tighten it a little bit.

Then it folds flat. My weather tech cargo liner will go right over it.

It works.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
So I figured it out. I started with a couple extra duffel bag straps I had laying around.
It works.
Time to patent, sell to Volvo, and make millions! . . .
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
391 Posts
good ingenuity

·
Registered
3 Posts
As mentioned by the OP, Toyota has this completely figured out and simple. My parent's highlander has simple straps with velcro that unlock and lift the 3rd row. In addition, it also has heavy cargo mats that velcro to the back of the seats so they can fold when you raise the 3rd row. I wish this was how they designed the XC90 because it's a pain to move/remove the cargo mats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts