SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One Question: Will Rain X hurt the Repellent Glass?<p>One Gripe: Just under 3K on the car (me), 85K total, "Low Beam Failure"<br>- It's like my XC is hazing me, but I guess its official I'm an "owner". Official because I've done the Trans Flush, and now the "LBF". <p>One Update: 2500 Mi on the Castrol Multi-Import ATF, and absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.<p>One Suprizing Discovery- Apparently my car is a Butterfly Killer. Went to inspect the air filter, and found (on the inlet side, inside the box bottom) probably 4-5 butterfly carcases. No other bugs, just butterflies. Maybe the PO was a really slow driver, and cruised around sucking up butterflies like a hoover?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: Rain-X..Bad??, Low Beam, Bad, Castrol Good (Q-Ship)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Q-Ship</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One Question: Will Rain X hurt the Repellent Glass?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Shouldn't. Not sure how repellent it would still be after 85k anyway.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Q-Ship</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One Gripe: Just under 3K on the car (me), 85K total, "Low Beam Failure"<br>- It's like my XC is hazing me, but I guess its official I'm an "owner". Official because I've done the Trans Flush, and now the "LBF". </TD></TR></TABLE><p>That's just a burned-out bulb, nothing serious.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Q-Ship</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One Suprizing Discovery- Apparently my car is a Butterfly Killer. Went to inspect the air filter, and found (on the inlet side, inside the box bottom) probably 4-5 butterfly carcases. No other bugs, just butterflies. Maybe the PO was a really slow driver, and cruised around sucking up butterflies like a hoover? </TD></TR></TABLE><p>My brother-in-law's California driven Mustang had what seemed like half the year's Monarch migration under the hood!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Rain-X..Bad??, Low Beam, Bad, Castrol Good (VTT5)

Thanks VTT5,<p>Believe it or not the repellency still works a little on the windshield, and great on the side windows, even with a specified 5 yr lifespan. Manual says not to use solvents etc., I sent Rain X an e-mail to see what they say.<p>Bulb I'm not concerned, but do not know if the car eats them, or it was just the bulbs time. Time will tell.<br>Now to decide if I want silverstars or regular halogens. I'd rather have better lighting, than long life. I asked Sylvania Osram if the bulbs operated at a higher temp (degrees F, not Kelvin) with concern for my socket. They said no, Hope they are right. HID's someday, not now...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: Rain-X..Bad??, Low Beam, Bad, Castrol Good (Q-Ship)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Q-Ship</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>Now to decide if I want silverstars or regular halogens. I'd rather have better lighting, than long life. I asked Sylvania Osram if the bulbs operated at a higher temp (degrees F, not Kelvin) with concern for my socket. They said no, Hope they are right. HID's someday, not now...</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I've run Silverstars for the last 4+ years without issue, and without (much) less lifespan than the original bulbs. I tried Osram Rallye [sic] +65 bulbs for a while and the output was great, but they actually fared worse for lifespan than the Silverstars, so I'm back to SS's (actually SS Ultras, or whatever they call them now).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Rain-X..Bad??, Low Beam, Bad, Castrol Good (VTT5)

Thanks CP, I'll just use it since the normal life expectency for the repellency has passed.<p>VTT5, I just threw standard halogens in, and will buy the HID when my next bulb burns out. <br>Funny though my socket was brittle, and they had the Factory Bulb in (part # different than the Autozone one I bought) in, so I think the sockets are a bit suspect. They had a semi heat effected look too them too.<br>I guess I did not realize for an extra $20 I can get HID's over SS Ultras- my how prices have come down.---LOVE IT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts