SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some pretty heavy rains last night and ended up with a little water on my front passenger side floor. I heard the drain/splash on the mat when I started driving, but I’m guessing some entered as the car was parked as well. It was dark when I heard it and didn’t see until I had parked. Nothing major, but I’m assuming some of the gutter drains are clogged, or were simply overwhelmed. Question is, anyone here ever clean their sunroof and windshield drains? Any tips? Im not exactly sure where they are, and more importantly, where correct drainage should flow to. I’m planning a spring cleaning this weekend and I should clearly be giving them a look. The car is outside all year and this will be the third spring that I’ve owned it. I’m sure there is a decent amount of pollen and other seasonal grime that should be flushed out.

I’ve attached a pic below. I checked the headliner and A pillars and those appeared to be dry. The source appears to be middle to passenger side below the bottom of the windshield.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
There was an early TSB out for leaky windshields but I'm not sure if that included 2016s.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was an early TSB out for leaky windshields but I'm not sure if that included 2016s.
Interesting. Any idea what the fix involved? I got a crack in the windshield on the first road trip I took in the car and had it replaced. That was about two years ago. After the replacement, there was a leak that showed on the drivers side floor, maybe a year ago, but I never found the source. Can’t remember if that was after a rain or touch less car wash. That was a bigger leak and left a small puddle under my front mat. I’ve been pretty good about monitoring it and haven’t noticed anything in that spot since. My thought on that was that it may have been a deep puddle with large spray coming through the lower door. Just a guess.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Open the hood and check around the base of the windshield. I am not at my car currently but many cars have cowl drains that can get clogged by debris. Also, that leak is about where the HVAC system is so maybe the issue is under the cowl - on the older models there was a flange that brought in fresh air from the outside. To access that you'd probably have to remove the wiper arms and some clips - a little involved. Finally, the issue could be related to the windshield replacement. Sometimes the base of the windshield is not sealed properly and perhaps it took this amount of rain to expose a problem. A few things to check.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Open the hood and check around the base of the windshield. I am not at my car currently but many cars have cowl drains that can get clogged by debris. Also, that leak is about where the HVAC system is so maybe the issue is under the cowl - on the older models there was a flange that brought in fresh air from the outside. To access that you'd probably have to remove the wiper arms and some clips - a little involved. Finally, the issue could be related to the windshield replacement. Sometimes the base of the windshield is not sealed properly and perhaps it took this amount of rain to expose a problem. A few things to check.
Thank you. Will do. It’s definitely in need of an engine bay clean out as well. I’ll give that area a look.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did my spring cleaning this weekend and gave the drains some attention. Took off the plastic trim/tray under the wiper arms and gave everything a good scrub. There was a bunch of debris in there that needed to be cleaned out, but everything appeared to be in working order. Tested the front sunroof drains and those were flowing good. The drain gates in the trap were also working fine. Surprised to see the fresh air vent had such little protection, and I think that was the issue with my leak. It was a freakishly heavy rain and it must have overwhelmed the drainage system and come in that area. The water spot in my photo above is directly below that vent.

Based on the amount of gunk under the tray, this will probably be an every other year procedure for me. Finished it off with a scrub of the sunroof seals and a coat of Krytox for good measure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I found this thread from a search as I'm seeing water coming down the inside of my windshield occasionally. I have confirmed the windshield seal has failed because when you push on the windshield from the inside you can see it create a gap on the top (looking from the outside).

I'm curious if anyone can locate that TSB as a google search has led me only to a few anecdotal "yeah this happened to me too" stories, some of which claim the dealer helped them out, others not so much.

Anyone know anything more about that TSB?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Thank you. Will do. It’s definitely in need of an engine bay clean out as well. I’ll give that area a look.

If the vehicle is still within warranty, this would be something that you need to bring up with dealer under warranty. Could be clogged sunroof drain. Could be a bad seal around the windshield. Either way, the dealer would be the proper entity to address the problem and remedy any water damage, if water seeped into other areas of the vehicle.

·
Registered
719 Posts

If the vehicle is still within warranty, this would be something that you need to bring up with dealer under warranty. Could be clogged sunroof drain. Could be a bad seal around the windshield. Either way, the dealer would be the proper entity to address the problem and remedy any water damage, if water seeped into other areas of the vehicle.
I second this. It's always best to start documentation on a problem like this early so you have a paper trail showing that it started before the warranty period ended even if they take so long to figure it out that they don't give you an official diagnosis until after the warranty ends.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I second this. It's always best to start documentation on a problem like this early so you have a paper trail showing that it started before the warranty period ended even if they take so long to figure it out that they don't give you an official diagnosis until after the warranty ends.
Exactly. The warranty is there for a reason, and while people want to DIY, this is counterproductive. Not only does it cover up what might be a serious issue (clogged drain, bad window seal, etc), but it removes one's argument of a prior problem. And delays any potential remedy. Which mind you, water damage can cause significant monetary damage to a vehicle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just found out my 16 CPO is leaking from the windshield behind the rear view mirror cowling.

Found this out after 3 dealer visits including sunroof seal installation and drain cleaning.

Apparently Volvo does not do glass work so it was suggested I claim it in my insurance. I called Volvo Care and sent an email to the selling dealer.

I feel this should be covered under warranty.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Just found out my 16 CPO is leaking from the windshield behind the rear view mirror cowling.

Found this out after 3 dealer visits including sunroof seal installation and drain cleaning.

Apparently Volvo does not do glass work so it was suggested I claim it in my insurance. I called Volvo Care and sent an email to the selling dealer.

Any suggestions?
Volvo contracts out their glass word and has a 3rd party installer come to the dealer. So what you're told is only partially true. I needed my back windshield replaced due to a bad tint job that broke the lines.

Call another dealer and either find out who their installer is (and have it done direct) or do it through dealer. Though dealer will tack on a bit extra to the price if done on location.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts

Any suggestions?
Volvo contracts out their glass word and has a 3rd party installer come to the dealer. So what you're told is only partially true. I needed my back windshield replaced due to a bad tint job that broke the lines.

Call another dealer and either find out who their installer is (and have it done direct) or do it through dealer. Though dealer will tack on a bit extra to the price if done on location.
Not all dealers sub out glass. If they do, they just sub it out and warranty pays it if under warranty.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Not all dealers sub out glass. If they do, they just sub it out and warranty pays it if under warranty.
I know all the dealers in my vicinity (which includes 4) all sub it out, because I had to call around to get my rear glass replaced. Different owners for 3 out of the 4 locations. But could be some dealers who do in house, since my sample size is quite small. And ya, I would think complaint of water seepage would be a warranty issue, assuming OP hasn't had a replacement done by a 3rd party post CPO purchase (cracked windshield due to road debris)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got my windshield on my S80 MY2010 on the warranty, at least Volvo dealers in Sweden does this on a kind of goodwill warranty when cars leak in water. The windshields themself are actually still the same but the glue/seal has been updated to a new one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Selling dealer is replacing windshield under CPO warranty as leak was found shortly after vehicle purchase. I have not had the glass replaced. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
2018 V60 CrossCountry D4
1 Posts
How to solve the problem of water leakage in the end?
MY 2018 V60 have the same problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts