SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this has probably been posted about 1,000 times, but the search is down and I didn't even find it on Jim's newfangled Google search engine.

The rain squeal...think I finally heard it for the first time tonight. I was expecting more of a squeal / screech. Instead, it was more of a singing. And it was LOUD!

Sound about right? I just want to make sure that what I heard was definitely the rain squeal.

Glad I have a trip to the dealer scheduled soon. I was surprised that I survived an entire northeast slushy winter without hearing it, but now I do in a heavy spring rain.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Re: Rain Squeal Question (needsdecaf)

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=22870
This one below?
TNN21-18-2004-05-04
Sub Frame Squeaking Noise

Under certain conditions when driving in cold and or wet weather a squeaking or crunching type noise may be heard from the vehicle sub frame bushings.

This noise may be more noticeable during low speed maneuvers or when braking at low speeds. From the chassis break point listed below a new insulating washer PN 30660816 has been introduced in production and is available as a service solution. If the customer should experience this condition and the vehicle is below the chassis # listed the sub frame washers should be installed.

- Polartek

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: Rain Squeal Question (Polartek)

Quote, originally posted by Polartek »
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=22870
This one below?
TNN21-18-2004-05-04
Sub Frame Squeaking Noise

Under certain conditions when driving in cold and or wet weather a squeaking or crunching type noise may be heard from the vehicle sub frame bushings.

This noise may be more noticeable during low speed maneuvers or when braking at low speeds. From the chassis break point listed below a new insulating washer PN 30660816 has been introduced in production and is available as a service solution. If the customer should experience this condition and the vehicle is below the chassis # listed the sub frame washers should be installed.

- Polartek

No, this one.......

TNN25-21-2004-07-21
High Pitched Squealing Noise, Exhaust Touching Propeller Shaft
Exhaust Conflict with prop shaft (location rear lip of front muffler). DESCRIPTION: Under certain conditions when driving through puddles of water, slush and or snow, the underside of exhaust system may cool down fast enough causing the exhaust to change shape and touch the propeller shaft, causing a very high pitched squealing noise. This noise will be noticed by the driver for only a short time, once the exhaust temperature equalizes the noise will disappear. If the customer should have this complaint a tell tale mark will be left on the propeller shaft

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Rain Squeal Question (IwantaS60R)

Iwanta's got it, but I already knew the TNN description and number. I've got a pretty good list bookmarked.

However, while that TNN describes it as a squeal, it was more of a singing.

And it didn't just last a "short time". While driving through constant heavy rain, it lasted until there was much less water on the road. About 5 solid minutes.

Also, it seemed to be coming from under the passenger's seat (almost under her feet, actually).

I just want to make sure this is the rain squeal issue so I can tell the dealer when it goes in.

·
Registered
575 Posts

I had that sound, it´s really loud and annoying. It even made me stop on the shoulder and call my dealer; they said it was not important and that I should just go on my way. It can present for longer periods of time depending on air temperatures, car speed, moist conditions, etc. When I heard it, the road was very damp and with lots of poodles.

My car has that mark on the shaft mentioned in Iwanna's post, nothing important.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Do the JRL patented fix, remove the center resonator and replace with a straight pipe ($100, max.)
Nice tone to the exhaust and in the process you get rid of the squeal http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,849 Posts

Quote, originally posted by needsdecaf »
However, while that TNN describes it as a squeal, it was more of a singing.

Also, it seemed to be coming from under the passenger's seat (almost under her feet, actually).

I just want to make sure this is the rain squeal issue so I can tell the dealer when it goes in.

That sounds just like what mine does. The sound will vary from car to car depending on how close the muffler is to the shaft to start with. It is different from car to car.
Usually if you stop for a few seconds it will go away till you hit another "poodle".

Mine didn't do it for 2 years, now it's just starting.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Rain Squeal Question (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Do the JRL patented fix, remove the center resonator and replace with a straight pipe ($100, max.)
Nice tone to the exhaust and in the process you get rid of the squeal http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

You think I can get the dealer to do this, or will they freak out?

I have it going in for the climate control, so it's not a wasted trip.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts