SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the deal with the rain sensor...

Mine is absolutely inaccurate, anyone else have this problem?

It's a small annoyance, but it's been popping up a lot with this weather recently- not much mist on the windshield yet the sensor is making it go much faster than necessary and sometimes when it should step in, it doesn't.

Where are they, how do they work, etc? Maybe I can work out some sort of screen or lip to make it less sensitive... I haven't checked if it has it's own fuse or not, just being internet lazy right now.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
None work properly on an 04, the design and the sensors are flawed
Your bet bet is to unplug it and use manual delay wipers. That will work normally and just fine once the sensor is disconnected
(Little box behind the mirror. remove the cover, unplug the wires, snap cover back on and you're done)!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Your bet bet is to unplug it and use manual delay wipers. That will work normally and just fine once the sensor is disconnected
(Little box behind the mirror. remove the cover, unplug the wires, snap cover back on and you're done)!
None work properly on an 04
Explains all the trouble I've had as well lol.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
and there is no fix, other than to disconnect it

·
Registered
955 Posts
What JRL said, I've spent countless hours trying to repair/fix/modify/enhance you name it and ultimately unplugged it. The intermittent settings are actually very well timed.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
No, it's not that easy.
Like the Rs all 2005s have a complete different electrical system.
05 P2s are more than just a cosmetic change
Remember the 05s have an actual off/on switch too

·
Registered
195 Posts
None work properly on an 04,
That is odd, I must have won the lottery with my '04. I have only had my XC for a month or so but I live in the pacific northwest so the wipers have received quite a workout lately. I did have to turn the sensitivity almost all the way down though. But the car has 90K and they seem to work just fine for my liking.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
1 out of 100, maybe 1 out of 1000! :eek:
I've NEVER seen an 04 rain sensor work properly
(or maybe you think they're working right when they're not)

What happens when it's a light drizzle/mist outside when you need a single swipe every 20 seconds or so?

·
Registered
195 Posts
1 out of 100, maybe 1 out of 1000! :eek:
I've NEVER seen an 04 rain sensor work properly
(or maybe you think they're working right when they're not)

What happens when it's a light drizzle/mist outside when you need a single swipe every 20 seconds or so?
It works just fine. It will give full speed when needed, stop when I am going through a tunnel or at a red light, etc. I guess I am just one of the lucky ones.

There are days when we have a constant light mist/drizzle here and it will only go when needed. It grew up in this weather so it is very much accustomed to it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for confirming JRL.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
I have to change my statement
Apparently ONE (1) works OK :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
You don't need to remove anything, just pop the cap off behind the rear view mirror, unplug the wires, snap the cap back on and you're done,
Takes a minute
Then the wiper delay works like any other normal car does with about 7-8 different delay settings

(I'm surprised an 06 has an issue).
Doesn't an S80 have an on-off switch like a P2 cars does? If so just leave it OFF and work it manually, that way you don't have to even bother unplugging it

·
Registered
334 Posts
ya i have done that already..but plugging back in doesnt seem to improve the sensitivity ..i do keep it @ manual but i like it to have it on automatic tho. beside unplug and plug is there anything else i can do .
The windshield is original volvo, and recently changed to new RainX wipers

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
I guess you just have a bad one.
After 05, these usually work (nominally).
As I said, I don't care for them and if a driver is too lazy to work a manual wiper delay system, my feeling is they should not be driving at all.

My feelings for automatic headlights are the same.
If a driver doesn't know when to turn on their own headlights, they should not be driving!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My 2003 can be a little wonky but never enough to make me override it. My Z4's isn't exactly perfect either so it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
ya i totally agree on headlights..i understand that its Volvos tradition to have them on..so why even have the headlight switch :p..
plus this is the 2nd time i have to change the headlight bulb. Compare that to my Highlander..oh my its been a loooonggg time since the last bulb change..
But i would like to have the option of turning them on or off whenever i want to. I guess the only way is to go to dealer using the software tools..but then that is just to expensive..

But if unplug the sensor is there any way to remove the sensor itself? like pushing on pins or something. Or will it cause more problem by removing the sensor?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts