SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a trick to getting the radio to turn off when the ignition is turned off? Mine won't turn off unless I pull the key out, and since I park in a locked garage, I don't really want to pull the key out. So, what I end up doing is turning the ignition off, pull the key out, then put it back in. But that's just crazy to have to do it that way.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
It should turn off when you open the door, if the key is in the off position. Since we have PCC, we don't remove the 'stove-dial key' regularly.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The key does not pop out when in the off position. Can this be fixed by me or do I need to take it to V$O$L$V$O ?
It's not so much that it pops out, but you must depress the key(stove dial) somewhat to turn from off to 1 or 2, so it then returns to the 'flush' position after you turn it back to 'off'.

Now you've got me thinking...DW took the 'big car' today, so I can go play with the C70 a bit. I'll take a closer look and listen.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
coachrick, Did you get a chance to investigate this more?
Sorry, only kinda sorta. I drove the C70 in to have the washer fluid res replaced(cracked in DW's accident a while back). I can confirm the 'depression' necessary to turn the key from off to 1 or 2, but I didn't think to check the radio. I very seldom listen to the radio(<5%) and didn't turn it on this AM. Oops! I'll try to get to it this afternoon.

Did we determine if you have PCC...that is, the ability to unlock the doors without using the key fob AND use the 'stove dial knob' instead of the key to start the car?(As in...keep the key in your pocket).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Rick. I don't have PCC. I need the key in the ignition and to turn it to start. I checked for the depression and it doesn't do it. I just turn it. Therfore, it also doesn't not "undepress" when in position 1.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Upon further review...Here are my findings...The actual key does not need to be depressed to turn from off to 1 or 2. As such, there is no 'spring-loaded' component in the key vs the 'stove knob'. The stove knob DOES require a slight depression in order to move the stove knob from 'off'. Since you don't have the knob or PCC, we can focus on the key itself. INDEED, when the key is turned to 0 position(off) the radio does stay on...door position is a non-factor...sorry for the confusion(thinking XC60 perhaps). You need only to pull the key out 'one notch' to quiet the radio--no need to remove it. I'm guessing this is some sort of safety device to keep the driver from leaving the keys in the ignition. I'm not sure what else would stay 'on' (fan?) if you left the key fully inserted and exited the vehicle. In my case, the radio wouldn't usually 'announce' the presence of the key in the ignition(since I don't have the radio on).

A quick skim of the owner's manual did not reveal any discussion of this phenomenon. Perhaps it's in there 'somewhere'.

In summary, I guess you need to pull that key out 'one click' to disable the radio OR just get in the habit of re-locating the key 'somewhere' so a thief wouldn't have such an easy time of it. ;) Perhaps it's Volvo's way of lookin' out fer ya! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts