SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Journey Continues Glitch #1: Audio turns on as soon as Door is opened

One month of ownership has been good with very few incidents, however my XC90 developed a new behaviour the last couple of days: When it has been sitting locked, either for a few minutes or a few hours, after I unlock and open the driver's door, the FM radio immediately starts playing.

I am sure that it did not do this in the beginning. What used to happen was when I opened the door, Sensus would start to boot up, but the radio remained off until I turned the knob to start the car. Now, when I open the door, the full Sensus screen lights up from a black screen as if it was already booted up and the radio plays even before I've had a chance to sit down.

I double-check that I shut off the vehicle before I leave and the radio does turn off when I open the door. I'm not complaining, but I am curious. Is there a setting that I inadvertently changed to activate this feature? Was there a software update that added this behaviour? Or, is it something that is normal and I just never noticed it before?

·
Registered
336 Posts
The outside door unlock mechanism has an IR heartbeat sensor (similar to those used in the FitBit) that attempts to assess your mood, and controls the radio accordingly. ;)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked through the Radio and Sensus sections in the manual but to be honest I'm stumped at what keywords to search for this condition.

I just went out to the garage after a few hours of it being parked and charging and nothing has changed. There really is no boot time for Sensus. It just turns on and is responsive and ready to go with no lag. I mean, technology is supposed to work like this in a perfect world, right? I have a feeling that it's just going to reboot sometime and go back to its old self again :D.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Honestly, before I factory reset my car, I think it was instant on on my OSD day and first day at home. But too many things about this car I have got to see in real in 3 days, I literally remember nothing in the past.

I wish my car can behave like yours some day, instant on.

Coming, Fusion Red XC60 T8

·
Registered
607 Posts
One month of ownership has been good with very few incidents, however my XC90 developed a new behaviour the last couple of days: When it has been sitting locked, either for a few minutes or a few hours, after I unlock and open the driver's door, the FM radio immediately starts playing.
Two things:
1 - Did you leave it on FM Radio before your powered the car down? Or was it on a different audio source?
2 - If you figure out how, I would love to know - as my XC90 has ALWAYS played something the second I unlocked the door.

Few quirks I noticed (that would give the appearance that it doesn't play until after the car starts):
I usually listen to XM (my free trial is still going, not at 6 months yet), and if I'm parked inside a warehouse (at work), there's typically signal loss that occurs... So, it won't play until after the car has started and I've moved forward.

I had the FM Radio bug (until the latest Sensus update was done a couple of weeks ago) - and that would play when I would get in the car, even if I was on XM when I last left it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
As far as know, same audio source plays at unlock/startup as was last playing. You really can’t turn the radio off, you can just turn it down. Of course, could be mistaken.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Does this happen first thing in the morning or only after you've driven the car and parked it. It seems like my Sensus boots more quickly during the day, when i am in and out of my car, than first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
As far as know, same audio source plays at unlock/startup as was last playing. You really can't turn the radio off, you can just turn it down. Of course, could be mistaken.
It should remember if it was paused which is essentially off. I think there was a software update that corrected it not remembering this state. There was also an update that fixed it switching to FM when it was last left on another source.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Mine does this but not FM radio it plays whatever was playing at the last shutdown. When I open the door Sensus "wakes up" and sits idle for a little bit...if I don't hit the starter knob it starts playing the radio. I thought it was normal. I do find it annoying when I open a passenger door and it starts the radio.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two things:
1 - Did you leave it on FM Radio before your powered the car down? Or was it on a different audio source?
2 - If you figure out how, I would love to know - as my XC90 has ALWAYS played something the second I unlocked the door.

I had the FM Radio bug (until the latest Sensus update was done a couple of weeks ago) - and that would play when I would get in the car, even if I was on XM when I last left it.
  1. Yes, the FM was on and when I opened the door it shut off. I tested it this morning, switched to XM, drove and then parked for a few minutes. When I returned the XM turned on as soon as I opened the door, so at least it doesn't seem like the bug.
  2. If yours has always done that, maybe I just didn't notice it before. I definitely felt I had more lag before.

Does this happen first thing in the morning or only after you've driven the car and parked it. It seems like my Sensus boots more quickly during the day, when i am in and out of my car, than first thing in the morning.
The really surprising thing is that it does happen first thing in the morning. I also noticed that Sensus seemed to boot faster during the day, but now it just seems to be on all the time with no boot up. Another thing that I have noticed that started around the same time as this is that my full battery range in the morning has gone down a couple of km. It hasn't been extra cold and I run preconditioning like I always do so I'm wondering if it's connected at all. Is Sensus staying on all the time and just using battery power?

Mine does this but not FM radio it plays whatever was playing at the last shutdown. When I open the door Sensus "wakes up" and sits idle for a little bit...if I don't hit the starter knob it starts playing the radio. I thought it was normal. I do find it annoying when I open a passenger door and it starts the radio.
So maybe I'm being paranoid. I just feel that I definitely had more lag before. I haven't tried opening a passenger door to see if it does the same thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine. Sensus would be immediately available upon opening the door. At night when I would turn the car off and everything else would shut down the home screen button below the screen would stay illuminated all night. I ended up disconnecting the battery for about 30 minutes and reconnecting it and the problem went away.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
FWIW, I'm pretty sure my screen says to turn the start knob to start playing audio after first getting in and waking up Sensus. But I almost exclusively have been using Pandora lately so that may be unique to streaming media.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Funny that no one seems to know if this is intended operation or not.
It is not documented. We have no way to know. We need to start with a list of things to try, and people try those and report back.
More organized than random posts.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, it was good while it lasted.

I was able to check after work if the music started playing when the passenger door was opened. It didn't. It only started playing when I opened the drivers door. It happened in the morning after parking overnight. It happened at the end of the day after work and one more time while running errands.

Then I made a quick stop somewhere and when I returned, everything was back to normal again. No music on door opening and Sensus displayed the boot screen. Music started as soon as I turned the start knob, Sensus booted quickly I assume because I was not long away from the vehicle.

I'll have to keep track to see if this glitch happens again.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
So I tested this last night and this morning. Both times I made sure to leave the radio playing when I exited the vehicle. The vehicle then sat for several hours which should have ensure that it was fully shut down. When I re-entered the vehicle, I made sure to just open the drivers door and get in without touching anything else.

The results were that both times the Sensus display loaded as expected with the animation. The tiles all loaded but no audio played. The media tile displayed the last station it was playing. The phone tile was the one with a message indicating that the start knob should be turned or the screen tapped to reconnect.

I then turned the start knob and the radio began to play.

My last software update was a few days before Christmas.

I know I have definitely experienced situations in the past where upon re-entering the vehicle it seemed like Sensus hadn't shutdown because the media and even the navigation was immediately loaded. I haven't experienced this in a while so I don't know what caused it. I thought maybe it was that Sensus gave you ten minutes or so before shutting down but, if so, it's not consistent because I've definitely popped out and back in with Sensus still going through the whole startup process recently.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The outside door unlock mechanism has an IR heartbeat sensor (similar to those used in the FitBit) that attempts to assess your mood, and controls the radio accordingly. ;)
The strange thing is that appeals to me. If Volvo offered an implantable chip to control functions in their cars, I'd probably sign up!

Now let's pray it happen again soon. :)
Well, that day has come, almost 2 months after the first incidence. I first noticed a problem yesterday when the Sensus voice command button stopped responding and I could not adjust the volume of the music. Volume control returned after the next vehicle start, but then the entertainment system and Sensus exhibited the same pattern of the media starting to play as soon as the driver's door was opened and Sensus already booted and ready to go instantly.

The only difference this time is that Sensus voice control is not available. There is no response when I press and release the voice button. However, if I hold the button down, Siri and CarPlay responds and works normally. It's sightly annoying because I do use voice control for media and various other things.

We'll see how long it keeps doing it this time before it reboots. T=1 day.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I noticed this same problem a couple of days ago. As soon as I open the door (and have the key in my pocket) the radio comes on. Volume control works and I can turn off the radio using either the switch on the steering wheel or on the touch screen. Speaker is always muted when I turn off the engine. I wonder if this is the result of some form of sensus update?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.