SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Radio turned itself on (and not because the door was re-opened)

Here are the facts.

My wife went out to the garage to get something around 1:30pm today. Heard the radio on in the car. The last time she or anyone had been in the garage was 7:45am and she is absolutely sure it was not on then. The car had not been used or accessed since 7pm last night. I actually made a big deal last night of telling someone about the radio glitch that happens if you close and re-open the driver door after turning off the engine so I was especially conscious that it was not on then. I did access the second row doors but didn't hear the radio turn back on and it's never triggered it before.

I turned on the car and checked the battery level after we discovered the radio on at 1:30 and it registered no low voltage alarms like it has done in the past for far shorter periods of the radio staying on.

So it's a mystery.

I am 100% certain no one used or accessed the driver door since yesterday. Even if you assume I was wrong about the radio not coming back on last night and that my wife was wrong about it not already being on when she was in the garage this morning, that would mean the radio was on for 18.5 hours and still didn't generate enough battery drain to cause an alert when I used the car. Which seems unlikely.

But since I have never heard of this happening with anyone else and I can't think of any other way it could come on, I don't know what to think. The keys were never near the car that whole time. They are kept in a place that is about 70 feet and several doors/walls away. Even today we had to go back into the house to get the keys to turn on the car and check the battery (and turn off the radio). There is no way I know of to use the remote access features of the Volvo app to turn on the radio (perhaps it comes on if you remote start the engine but the engine wasn't on). More importantly, my wife doesn't have the app and I haven't used mine in a long time. Even if it somehow accidentally opened it would have required a password to activate and I don't even remember the password. I supposed theoretically Volvo could push a software update remotely that could have triggered to radio but I have yet to see them ever push software updates, especially with the car off. When I turned the engine on today it took the typical 5 minutes for the internal modem to even get connectivity.

I assume if anyone else here had experienced anything like this we would have heard about it. Any theories on what happened?

Hopefully it's a 1-time thing.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
wonder if a cloud update was pushed. Did you ever get all those other issues resolved in your car? I know you had a slew of other issues, if a root cause hasn't been found, maybe that root cause erroneously turned on the radio during the update.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Skynet becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The other issues haven't really been resolved though the slew of daily new glitches I was getting a few weeks ago stabilized and until today there were no new ones. Unfortunately by stabilized I mean didn't get worse or better. The radio being on a different channel than I last left it or playing a different channel than it actually shows is now commonplace so I am just used to it. It's super easy to fix just by hitting a different station and then its all good until the next use of the car. (It's actually occasional fun to mess with passengers if the radio is say playing the latest pop song but the channel says "70's" and be like, "wow, I didn't know that was around in the '70's then it quickly leads to how weird it is that the station doesn't match the music.)

If they did push a software update proactively, it would be the first time ever. The only remote updates that have ever worked are for the apps and they haven't done so proactively -- they promote and you have to opt0in to update them, when the car is on. They give you no way to see the software version for the core Sensus software, or to see a log of updates. So no easy way to prove or disprove. But if they did finally do that, and while the car was off, then having it turn and leave the radio on is not ideal.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Was the car locked?

Here are the facts.

My wife went out to the garage to get something around 1:30pm today. Heard the radio on in the car. The last time she or anyone had been in the garage was 7:45am and she is absolutely sure it was not on then. The car had not been used or accessed since 7pm last night. I actually made a big deal last night of telling someone about the radio glitch that happens if you close and re-open the driver door after turning off the engine so I was especially conscious that it was not on then. I did access the second row doors but didn't hear the radio turn back on and it's never triggered it before.

I turned on the car and checked the battery level after we discovered the radio on at 1:30 and it registered no low voltage alarms like it has done in the past for far shorter periods of the radio staying on.

So it's a mystery.

I am 100% certain no one used or accessed the driver door since yesterday. Even if you assume I was wrong about the radio not coming back on last night and that my wife was wrong about it not already being on when she was in the garage this morning, that would mean the radio was on for 18.5 hours and still didn't generate enough battery drain to cause an alert when I used the car. Which seems unlikely.

But since I have never heard of this happening with anyone else and I can't think of any other way it could come on, I don't know what to think. The keys were never near the car that whole time. They are kept in a place that is about 70 feet and several doors/walls away. Even today we had to go back into the house to get the keys to turn on the car and check the battery (and turn off the radio). There is no way I know of to use the remote access features of the Volvo app to turn on the radio (perhaps it comes on if you remote start the engine but the engine wasn't on). More importantly, my wife doesn't have the app and I haven't used mine in a long time. Even if it somehow accidentally opened it would have required a password to activate and I don't even remember the password. I supposed theoretically Volvo could push a software update remotely that could have triggered to radio but I have yet to see them ever push software updates, especially with the car off. When I turned the engine on today it took the typical 5 minutes for the internal modem to even get connectivity.

I assume if anyone else here had experienced anything like this we would have heard about it. Any theories on what happened?

Hopefully it's a 1-time thing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ghost of Thor?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Is it possible that front passenger door was accessed?

I think you know about my August test about this issue:

"My test based on the "Battery dead" threat:
I spent 30 mins today testing the car and confirm the observations of citivas.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and never touch the car again you are OK.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the trunk or back doors, you are still OK.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the front doors, then there is a problem. The center display is activated, radio starts playing. After you close the door, eventually everything turns itself off (including the screen) but the radio continues to play. When you lock the car, the radio is off.

I have not noticed this before because I usually use my phone (bluetooth) to play music.

- If you are playing music via bluetooth, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the front doors, >>>> The center display is activated, no music plays, after you close the door, eventually everything turns itself off (including the screen). I don't know if the car continues to search for my phone behind the closed doors so I decided to tell the garage guys to lock the car from now on. Not a big deal as i can be fixed with the software update but I agree with citivas that everybody should be aware of the problem."

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it possible that front passenger door was accessed?

I think you know about my August test about this issue:

"My test based on the "Battery dead" threat:
I spent 30 mins today testing the car and confirm the observations of citivas.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and never touch the car again you are OK.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the trunk or back doors, you are still OK.
- If the radio is playing, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the front doors, then there is a problem. The center display is activated, radio starts playing. After you close the door, eventually everything turns itself off (including the screen) but the radio continues to play. When you lock the car, the radio is off.

I have not noticed this before because I usually use my phone (bluetooth) to play music.

- If you are playing music via bluetooth, stop the car, leave without locking, and then come back to open the front doors, >>>> The center display is activated, no music plays, after you close the door, eventually everything turns itself off (including the screen). I don't know if the car continues to search for my phone behind the closed doors so I decided to tell the garage guys to lock the car from now on. Not a big deal as i can be fixed with the software update but I agree with citivas that everybody should be aware of the problem."
Definitely not. The only doors accessed after the car was turned off were both of the second row doors, and within minutes after the car was turned off. (Also, I have frequently accessed the front passenger door before and never seen it trigger the radio -- this is now my default way of getting my glasses or my phone if I leave them in the car because of the driver's side issue -- but I didn't need to in this case).

I also frequently access the driver's side second row door after the car is turned off and never have it trigger the radio. The only thing that is unique as of last night was accessing the passenger-side second row door after the car is turned off. I can't recall specifically needing to do that before. But it would be common for someone inside the car to need to open it to get out after the car is off and I would think that is the same action as far as the car is concerned. So it seems an unlikely cause. And it would mean both my wife and I were wrong about our confidence the radio wasn't on last night or early this morning, and that it would have been on 18.5 hours without battery drain.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have had this same issue (also posted previously) about the radio coming on when you open the door or start the car, even if you left it off (which is really "pause"). I wrote to volvo who only replied that the radio has no off button.

I think there is a definite glitch with the driver door activating the radio. And the radio coming on at random times....

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had this same issue (also posted previously) about the radio coming on when you open the door or start the car, even if you left it off (which is really "pause"). I wrote to volvo who only replied that the radio has no off button.

I think there is a definite glitch with the driver door activating the radio. And the radio coming on at random times....
This appears to be something different. I am very sensitive to not triggering the radio glitch by re-opening the door since I first reported on it in May. This seems to have come on independently with no one near the car. If it was triggered by a door (and would have had to be other than the drivers door), it lasted for 18.5 hours with any alert on battery drain. I got that alert previously after only 20 minutes.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I must say that I really feel bad for you Citivas. I have been following your posts all along since you got your car. I'm sure that one of the electronic modules in your vehicle is defective and the root cause for most of the issues you have experienced. I keep hoping that when it has been at the dealer for inspections they would have had an, 'Ah Ha' moment by now and found the culprit.

Still, with your long history and meticulous record keeping of each issue, I think you are getting closer to having Volvo take back your ride and provide you with a new vehicle under the 'Lemon Law' statute. Again i'm sorry you've faced so many problems. I complement you on your ability to deal with this. Wish you the best.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'm not sure its necessarily an electronic defect so much as weird/buggy software. And also don't think the lemon law comes into play for a variety of reasons, not least of which being that citivas does not seem to want Volvo to take the car back.

I do think its really weird though!

All of this software stuff can sound really alarming but can also be an easy fix. Without getting into the whole speculative debate about the November update, I'll just say that at that point we will hopefully have some sense of which version of software we have, which one we are supposed to have, and hopefully a lot of these issues will be alleviated. For now this just seems like yet another example of how beta this current version is.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Citivas, I have come to the conclusion your car is possessed, and I don't even believe in the supernatural. Of all the issues being reported I have only seen two so far... stupid HUD not staying in position on restart, and my cameras not working on startup sometimes. Both frustrate me, and if I had all the ones you have seen on top of this I would be pulling my hair out!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Interesting that the update won't be until AFTER Halloween.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Did you use the radio as you drove the car if you have it can turn on the radio itself.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Halloween. Hem, remember the Stephen King Movie 'Christine' where the worker on the car assembly line gets killed? Perhaps dousing the car with a little holy water is in order? ;)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Knock on wood, but for all my problems I feel grateful they have all been electronic/software (so far). I would have been very unhappy with experiences like the OSD delivery with the car that kept accelerating on its own or the person with the immediately failed axil, etc. So I can live with most of them and hold out hope for software fixed. Part of reporting them as detailed as possible is I know Volvo reads this forum (perhaps not comprehensively but at least regularly), so the more we collectively document the more it can help them reproduce and hopefully debug these issues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good luck that all. I think tomorrow is the day I will finally throw in the towel. If you all are holding out hope on the Volvo software people getting it "fixed" the first second or third time forget it. This car was not tested correctly prior to release. It's obvious to me. My service technician in Tulsa today told me the good news is we have a direct line to Volvo engineering now. This after two months of being in the shop. I sincerely wish you all the best.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts