SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 XC90 2.5T
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My existing Hu-803 won't play CD's after my son used it as a piggy bank. I took out the coins, but now all it does it load a CD and won't give it back or play it. All it does is "CD ERROR". <p>I picked up a used one from fleabay, can I simply swap them out?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Re: Radio swap (forkster)

I swapped an 803 without any issues in my car (2004 S60). Just plugged it in and it worked. Took 5 minutes. All features work, even steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
2005 XC90 2.5T
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's what I did.<p>My radio came from a MY01 - with the slightly grey colour. Since mine is a MY04, it's the darker black-graphite version. I swapped face plates to maintain the colour.<p>I powered back on my car, but ruh-roh, I hear the head unit power up (CD trays clicking through a reset) but the unit face is dead. No backlight or anything.<p>2 Questions:<br>1. Is it possible to swap face HU's from different MY's?<br>2. Is it possible that this unit I got from fleabay is dead?<p>Any advice would be appreciated. Taking a 8 hour trip Saturday.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Re: Radio swap (forkster)

<br><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>forkster</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...I picked up a used one from fleabay, can I simply swap them out? </TD></TR></TABLE><p>Not always. There are <I>many</I> HU's for the S60/V70. They're very VIN dependent. You might get lucky as the poster above did...but maybe not. Money wasted.<p>John<br>

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: (forkster)

John makes a good point, there are many of us around here who have swapped HU's but, I can't recall where it was an '01 for an '04. I'd stay within the same model year if at possible.<p>That said, there have also been reports of the displays going funky on the HU, too. Try powering it up, spinning the source knob until you get to a radio source (i.e. AM or FM) and see if you can actually tune in a station.<p>Got the part # for the HU? IM it to me and I'll look it up for you.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: (forkster)

Here's another possibility:<p>If you have an iPod, get an iMIV and hook that up to your original HU and forget about the internal CD changer.<p>You are lucky, Sensolutions, <A HREF="http://www.imiv.ca/cms/index.php?id=21" TARGET="_blank">imiv.ca</A> is in Calgary, you could drive there and pick up everything you need. Today!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts