SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some cleaning today and came across something strange
THis first picture shows the radio knob with this gummy mud like paste i dont what it is

I took a microfiber cloth too it and started too clean it and at the end it turned like this smooth and clean

my question is did the knobs come with some type of rubberize texture ? or was it that dirty and disgusting :eek:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Pretty sure that's just dirt from being touched all the time. Mine get like that too, along with the buttons on the turn signal, etc. pretty gross when you realize how dirty your hands are!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow dude am not a germ freak but it was nasty as hell i never realize it until today and i keep the car Clean

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
You have just removed the factory rubberized texture. These do tend to get unsightly with age as they get nicked with fingernails or people clean them too aggressively. Leave them smooth or buy a new set. Whatever you like.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yes! Gross. I ended up pulling the knobs off and scraping the rubber off. Then I painted them to match my trim. Now to clean them I just periodically get water and a mild detergent and rub.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i did some research on the forms and i did remove the rubberized texture oh well it looks much cleaner.(they should made them without the rubberized texture) The rubber was nicked alot and was gray and nasty as showed in the picture.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
There was an issue with the 2005 knobs where the rubberized coating would start pealing off. There is even a TNN on this issue and replacement knobs are available. I just replaced my knobs this summer.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You have to remove the whole waterfall to remove them. They clip on if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have had this issue also (removed knobs and scrubbed the coating off and left this way). That was quite some time ago.

But recently my volume knob will not turn the radio down, I can just keep spinning it. I notice if I go very slowly it is better. The steering wheel button works. This is a newer issue and right now is not a constant issue, it comes and goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts