SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace the factory head unit in my 06 VR and am looking for suggestions for a single or double din head unit and possible interface so the third channel will stick work along with the steering wheel controls. As for a head unit, I am mainly looking for radio/cd/cd-r functionality with an audio in for my phone. Possibly blue tooth to use my phone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kenwood DDX492 DVD Receiver

I bought the Kenwood DDX492 DVD Receiver from Crutchfield with the wiring kit and mounting kit and it looks great. Also got a backup camera. Probably any double din unit would work because the important part is the mounting kit they sell which exactly replaces the factory 850 head unit and fits like it came with the car. I did lose the center speaker but I've been thinking about ways to get it back -- seems like you could just splice the front left and right channel together maybe and just run it that way?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the Kenwood DDX492 DVD Receiver from Crutchfield with the wiring kit and mounting kit and it looks great. Also got a backup camera. Probably any double din unit would work because the important part is the mounting kit they sell which exactly replaces the factory 850 head unit and fits like it came with the car. I did lose the center speaker but I've been thinking about ways to get it back -- seems like you could just splice the front left and right channel together maybe and just run it that way?
Yeah, I was hoping I would still have the center speaker as an option' I dont use it all of the time, but noticed that certain music sounds better through it rather than the door speakers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
IMO anything aftermarket looks terrible in these cars, and I'm not sure there is any kit that will still retain the center channel and steering wheel controls. Your best bet is to just get the GROM BT3. It adds Bluetooth for both music streaming and phone calls while keeping your factory radio intact. The sound is awesome and install is a breeze. With this, since you still have your factory radio you still have the center channel and steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have the GROM as well. It sounds great and works good. Also, if you have parking assist it's way cheaper to use the GROM than buy the custom modules that allow that to still work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
655 Posts
This is my EXACT setup! I will take some pics for you tomorrow so you can see how it looks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the GROM as well. It sounds great and works good. Also, if you have parking assist it's way cheaper to use the GROM than buy the custom modules that allow that to still work.

May I ask - what model GROM did you use?

I bought an '07 S60R this summer, it has some form of dealer-option iPod (older style) cable and AUX input in the console...as well as a BlueTooth mic. It all works fine, but I'd like to upgrade to BlueTooth streaming....or at least, a cable that actually charges my phone. Does your GROM do that? Many thanks!

To the OP - my son is a mechanic at a Volvo dealership...he says it is difficult to get aftermarket stereos to play nice with Volvo stuff (steering wheel controls, backup sensors, etc). I am not going against mbucknam"s recommendation....if the Kenwood works, that is great. My boy has seen several come in for service that...uh...don't quiet work so well.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The GROM does streaming through bluetooth.

I have the BT3 I think.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Steering wheel controls are possible but a couple hundred extra, not sure it's worth it for a few buttons when all you have to do is move your arm.

Center channel can be replicated by a small standalone 2 channel bridgeable amp, with the front channels bridged into it that will have its own gain adjustment. But it won't be a true dolby center. Not sure if that makes any difference, given that most music and radio isn't recorded 5 channel either, so the dolby is usually pulling it from the other channels in a similar fashion.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To the OP - my son is a mechanic at a Volvo dealership...he says it is difficult to get aftermarket stereos to play nice with Volvo stuff (steering wheel controls, backup sensors, etc). I am not going against mbucknam"s recommendation....if the Kenwood works, that is great. My boy has seen several come in for service that...uh...don't quiet work so well.
Based on what I'm hearing, I'm thinking the GROM BT3 unit will be the best way to get what I want. While I never thought I would use the parking assist, it is actually quite handy. My OEM head unit has recently started doing strange things like changing FM channels for now reason which is why I was thinking to replace it.

·
Registered
861 Posts
A lot of misinformation going on around here.

Backup sensors won't work after the change over, but it's easy enough to put in a backup camera with an aftermarket double din, same with navigation (but comon, who still uses it).

My suggestion is the following:
Metra 40-VL10 Antenna adapter
Scosche VO4152B Install Kit
ARH-VOL Radio Replacement & Amplifier Retention Harness (If you're coming from an HU-850 and retaining factory amp)
CRUX SWRVL-54 Wiring Interface

The Crux set is the key. It's your wiring harness and your CANBUS interface for steering wheel controls, reverse signal for a camera, Illumination signal for auto-dimming, and VSS if you're going to have any kind of built in nav depending on this signal.

A lot of people point to the Metra Axxess ASWC-1 for the steering wheel controls, and also a Metra harness. I bought these, the wiring is more of a pain, and there's programming involved. You also only get steering wheel controls, not the other signals. The Crux set is plug and play.

I got a Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS and like it. Not saying it's perfect, though. Backup camera works great on it, sound is strong, I have bluetooth connected to my phone for hands free calling now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks for that post! My 850 has been acting up and I've been thinking about an aftermarket replacement.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You can get 850s repaired for under 200 with a day or two turn around time

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts