SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to remove the circuit board from the front plate of the radio but I can't remove the sliding buttons for the treble, bass and fader. Does anyone know how to remove these and how to replace the bulb for the display.:facepalm:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Those sliders should pop right off with a little bit of force. I think I used a butter knife and gently pried them off. I am not sure about the light for the display though, I don't remember looking at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Matt. I was using a pair of pliers to pull on them and I didn't want to break anything. I will try again with a knife. I read on another post that the display could be switched out but there was no instructions given on how to remove it. I want to look at the light to see what is there.

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PDLarson,

That's the same post I followed originally LOL. What I discovered is the bulbs don't light the display, only the bottons. Apparently the display has a bulb of it's own to which I offer Volvo a swat up alongside the forehead. So I'm trying to gain access to the backside of the display to check it out. Thanks anyways for trying to help.

·
Registered
475 Posts
That is an awesome thread. All you ever have to do to find it is enter the following words in Google:
volvo radio honda condom beer
Works every time! Understanding keyword searches... Priceless

So the backilght for the LCD then? Those may be LEDs, not bulbs at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree it is an awesome thread. The detailed instructions and pictures made it a snap to change the radio bulbs.

I guess LED would be the correct term as I saw somewhere it is soldered in. I just wanted to get a look at it to see if I could tackle it. I found a repair shop I'm going to call them this week.

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
You can get the bulb at Radio Shack. It wasn't too hard to remove the old one and solder the new one into place. I don't remember the bulb size but you should be able to find that out with a few internet searches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your input on this. I got the circuit board off and the display is an enclosed unit. It can be removed by melting the solder on each corner but I decided it is beyond my technology. I drilled a small hole in one end of the display case to see if that would let the light in from the button bulbs but it didn't make any difference. So I'll just turn on the interior light if I need to see what station I'm on. Sure is nice to have the buttons illuminated though.

PD - I'm in Canada and I checked the shipping on a part one other time and it seemed costly to do cross border shipping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I couldn't resist. I decided to try changing the display bulb. I had a difficult time getting the solder to melt on the cover, but I was able to get the two outside corners free and I just bent the cover up over the display and was able to change the bulb. So nice to have the display lit again. The support and advice on this and other sites is amazing. You guys are great.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thank you for reporting back. Solutions make the site too...

·
Registered
319 Posts
I replaced the five bulbs in my 815 earlier this year after reading the writeup PDLarson linked above but I didn't have to touch the bulb for the LCD screen. The trip computer in the dash however is dark and drives me crazy at night. I assume the bulb (or two) is similar if not identical to the radio. Thanks for the instructions. Now for getting into the dash--and changing the other light bulbs and odo gear (all still working) while I'm in there.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Those bulbs are very different in the cluster. You should look them up or go practice on a jy car.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
The 2 bulbs that light that portion are those little two part bulbs in a black housing. All you need is the bulb, not the housing
We (I) usually replace those and the 4 larger bulbs when one or two are in need of replacement

You need to remove the dash cluster

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize that hit had those bulbs in there. I thought it was just the DVD and gear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts