SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with repairing (rather than replacing) radiators? An after-market replacement isn't very expensive, but actually replacing it is a pita, especially as I have no intention of installing an FMIC.

Mine seems to be leaking at the margins between the aluminum cooling part and the two lateral plastic tanks. Techs have talked about 'crimping' but suggest it's not usually too successful.

Any success or problems with any leak-stop products?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
949 Posts
Do it right the first time - replace the damn radiator.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Anyone have experience with repairing (rather than replacing) radiators? An after-market replacement isn't very expensive, but actually replacing it is a pita, especially as I have no intention of installing an FMIC.

Mine seems to be leaking at the margins between the aluminum cooling part and the two lateral plastic tanks. Techs have talked about 'crimping' but suggest it's not usually too successful.

Any success or problems with any leak-stop products?

Be lucky yours is just a seep. Mine violently cracked one of the tanks. Radiator replacement isn't hard at all, took me 3 hours at most. There's no repairing the crimps either.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Do not use stop leak, send it to a radiator repair place or replace it. while your there, you may want to check the hoses and replace if needed and the thermostat also. Do it right the first time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would replace it, it's not that difficult either. The hardest part is remembering to put everything back together exactly the way it was.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts
Those plastic end tanks are crimped onto the core with a gasket between the tank and core. A leak there means the seal is not as good as it should be, so tightening the crimp may stop the leak, but then again the gasket may be failing and no amount of tightening will stop the leak. Also, on the radiators I have seen it seems to me the radiator would need to be removed for proper access to tighten the crimp, so at that point why not just put a new one back in?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all - it seems the seals are giving up as Phoenix R described - started on one side and progressed to the other with no visible cracks or other issues.
Will likely order a radiator and thermostat (hoses are already IPD silicone) and get busy.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Thanks all - it seems the seals are giving up as Phoenix R described - started on one side and progressed to the other with no visible cracks or other issues.
Will likely order a radiator and thermostat (hoses are already IPD silicone) and get busy.

Also replace the radiator to overflow tank hose. It runs on top of the radiator.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I've spent several years developing radiators. A tank to header leak is not repairable. It can and is commonly done in production for slight leaks - usually the gasket gets displaced during the crimping process so the crimp is opened and gasket exchanged then recrimped. You need crimping dies to do this right and a new gasket - neither of which are available to you. Short answer = replace the radiator with an OEM radiator.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again - by this point (350k km on my caR) stuff like radiators is just going to wear out and/or fail (such as my transmission ). Have always prided myself on doing good preventative maintenance, and she drives very well, little oil consumption, etc.
Believe I'll keep her for a month or so after we get the new V60 R-Design delivered to see if it's a suitable replacement and I can pass the duty of care on to another appreciative owner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts