SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, despite radiator stop leak supposedly clogging the heater core, I went ahead and threw some in. It worked! I had a pinhole leak at the bottom of my radiator where it meets the end tank, and it was leaking rapidly. I figure, the heater core costs less than a new radiator, so if it does get clogged then oh well.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
I'd be concerned about the internal channels getting clogged with that stuff.

But hey, I've been losing coolant for over a month, what do I know :p

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd be concerned about the internal channels getting clogged with that stuff.

But hey, I've been losing coolant for over a month, what do I know :p
I'm thinking that maybe now a coolant change might keep it from clogging up. Maybe not, it might make it worse, who knows.. Or maybe the leak will return.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Bad move and now it's too late
Stuff is in there

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bad move and now it's too late
Stuff is in there
Give me supporting evidence why it's so bad. I used very little amount. Is it going to blow my head gasket? If not, then I don't care. Water pump? Getting replaced soon. Heater core? I've got a used one ready. Radiator? Whatever, it will need to be replaced sooner or later. I'm just not in a position to buy a radiator right now, maybe in a few months it won't be so bad, but I wasn't going to continue dropping expensive coolant in either. Stop leak works, even if I have to fix some **** down the road I don't care.

And you don't think a coolant change with a couple gallons of water flush won't get most of it out? It hasn't leaked, and my temps are normal. Again, it was a very small amount.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rookie here... I have a 2004 V70R - I just noticed a small inside coolant leak (heater core). After hearing the estimated cost for a shop to replace the core, the same shop suggested that I try a bottle of "Bars Leaks" and see what happens. Anybody out there tried this stuff? Results?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been searching stop leak and "Bars" comes up a lot. Maybe that stuff is good, idk.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Plate and fin oil coolers like used on white engines from 99 on do not like stop leaks. The coagulating chemicals can coagulate in the oil cooler passages.
Heater core is more forgiving than the oil cooler.
I can't provide Volvo evidence directly since the engines have no oil temp sensor.
I can report on other vehicles I work on with oil temp sensing, plate and fin oil coolers made by Behr, and ECM software that reports oil temp to coolant temp spread when it is excessive. These will flag the oil temp problem within a week of stop leak being added.

·
Registered
501 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem using a little radiator stop leak but as you probably know, keep an eye on your leak. Stop leak is normally only temporary fix, and if/when it starts leaking again the leak it can be worse than before and I don't suggest adding more stop leak because using too much is where people start getting into trouble with the stuff. Also I don't recommend flushing your cooling system, at least not with a chemical flush until you replace your radiator because a chemicals will likely remove all of the stop leak.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Plate and fin oil coolers like used on white engines from 99 on do not like stop leaks. The coagulating chemicals can coagulate in the oil cooler passages.
Heater core is more forgiving than the oil cooler.
I can't provide Volvo evidence directly since the engines have no oil temp sensor.
I can report on other vehicles I work on with oil temp sensing, plate and fin oil coolers made by Behr, and ECM software that reports oil temp to coolant temp spread when it is excessive. These will flag the oil temp problem within a week of stop leak being added.
I don't think the Dr put Stop Leak into his oil????????

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

The oil cooler has coolant running in passages alternately with a layer with oil.
The brown lines in photo are coolant passages. See why you don't want stop leak?

Its stuck on the back of your oil pan on 99 and later.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You shouldn't have a problem using a little radiator stop leak but as you probably know, keep an eye on your leak. Stop leak is normally only temporary fix, and if/when it starts leaking again the leak it can be worse than before and I don't suggest adding more stop leak because using too much is where people start getting into trouble with the stuff. Also I don't recommend flushing your cooling system, at least not with a chemical flush until you replace your radiator because a chemicals will likely remove all of the stop leak.
I will keep an eye on it. I know when its leaking when there's a pool of coolant by the front of the car, and it was leaking pretty rapidly. It went from not really leaking, to about 1 liter every month or so, then it was leaking a liter every couple hours.. It's leaking at the bottom of the radiator where the end tanks meet up. IDK if there's a way to repair it.. I guess I could find out from a radiator shop.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Why not just replace the radiator? Radiators aren't that expensive and can be swapped with common tools in a short amount of time. :confused:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
The rad shop will repair it by selling you a new one.
The success rate of plastic tank rad repairs is low and it has to be removed from car. The price of the rad repair attempt approaches what new rads can be purchased for.
If a repair was able to be made at that spot, a big IF at that, then one of the necks could crack or it leaks later at another spot. The bottom right corner is where I see all P2 rads leak.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Give me supporting evidence why it's so bad. I used very little amount. Is it going to blow my head gasket? If not, then I don't care. Water pump? Getting replaced soon. Heater core? I've got a used one ready. Radiator? Whatever, it will need to be replaced sooner or later. I'm just not in a position to buy a radiator right now, maybe in a few months it won't be so bad, but I wasn't going to continue dropping expensive coolant in either. Stop leak works, even if I have to fix some **** down the road I don't care.

And you don't think a coolant change with a couple gallons of water flush won't get most of it out? It hasn't leaked, and my temps are normal. Again, it was a very small amount.
Any time a customer brings a car to our shop and starts the conversation with "I put some stop leak in it" we groan. It can clog your radiator (we have had to replace them) your heater core, coolant lines, and any other coolant passage in the car. And it doesn't necessarily show up right away.

Your saving yourself a couple hundred dollars now by not buying a radiator.... Except that you really aren't because that radiator is going to start leaking again in a couple weeks or month. And your risking spending much more then a couple hundred bucks by clogging up an integral part of your car and blowing a head gasket.

Only advice anyone can give you now is flush it, and then back flush it. Then flush it some more. And then probably do it again.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any time a customer brings a car to our shop and starts the conversation with "I put some stop leak in it" we groan. It can clog your radiator (we have had to replace them) your heater core, coolant lines, and any other coolant passage in the car. And it doesn't necessarily show up right away.

Your saving yourself a couple hundred dollars now by not buying a radiator.... Except that you really aren't because that radiator is going to start leaking again in a couple weeks or month. And your risking spending much more then a couple hundred bucks by clogging up an integral part of your car and blowing a head gasket.

Only advice anyone can give you now is flush it, and then back flush it. Then flush it some more. And then probably do it again.
I'll flush it tomorrow then, it's not a big deal. Are the 04' radiators the same? I can get one for super cheap... After the fact oh well I'm not that worried. I couldn't have replaced it in such a short amount of time, I drive my R almost 100 miles a day and the leak was too large to keep pulling over and dumping in water

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I'll flush it tomorrow then, it's not a big deal. Are the 04' radiators the same? I can get one for super cheap... After the fact oh well I'm not that worried. I couldn't have replaced it in such a short amount of time, I drive my R almost 100 miles a day and the leak was too large to keep pulling over and dumping in water
It is a problem though. You don't seem to realize that if it "fixed" your leak in the radiator it is current starting to "fix" its way throughout your engine and other components!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update from my earlier post

It's been 2 months now and the small dose of Bars Leaks has worked for me. Knock on wood...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts