SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from the dealership for a leaking angle gear (again!). At least this time it is on their dime. But they mentioned that my radiator is leaking at the top right near where the metal connects to the plastic. I had noticed that I had to top up my coolant maybe once a month, so that explains that.
They quoted me $1123 to replace the radiator. At this point I am not sure what is included in this, but it seems a lot to me. I'll ask them for a detailed quote when I pick up my car later this afternoon.

I have a couple of questions:
-How hard is to replace the radiator?
-Is there a cheaper way to fix this leak?
-IPD has a Cryomax radiator for $338.80. FCP Euro has Nissens radiator for $176.95. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I could walk you through a readiator replacement and a few of the intercooler instructions show how to remove to get the stock intercooler core that is sandwiched between the two out. If you have any sense of back yard mechanics (Not ASE Cert) I would definately do yourself. I have saved a ton in labor over the last four years by diagnosing and fixing my own R.

·
Registered
796 Posts
About $1100 is what I was quoted from a couple places (dealer and volvo independent) so the price doesn't seem out of line. It is mostly labor though as the actual radiator is not very much. Tascaparts.com has the best price for OEM and I used a Nissens when I replaced mine in 2009 and it's still holding up well.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just finished having mine replaced. The majority of the price is the install. I purchased the radiator from Tasca for $260 shipped. The dealership wanted $500. So my final install price was closer to $600 at the dealership with me purchasing the radiator. I was planning on doing the job myself, the replacement is extremely straight forward. however, the GT trannies have a cooler line that runs threw the radiator. I didn't feel comfortable disconnecting the tranny cooler line so I had the dealer do it.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Ask them for a discount and how long the warranty is. My Volvo dealer gave me a 10% discount and a 2 year warranty...all said it was a little under $900.00

·
Registered
147 Posts
$1,100? Damn.... I need to become a certified mechanic! FWIW - I replaced my cracked radiator this spring in ~1 hour. This is NOT a difficult job... grab some sockets and a flat screwdriver and save some $. :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine was done last summer. (under cpo) the cost on the invoice was $964.91 ( keep all my invoices) (17 to date)

$445 for the radiator
$487 for the labor
$32.91 shop parts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Took me about two hours but I know what goes where. I'd say 5/10 mechanical inclination needed to complete successfully in one weekend day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your feedback. I have a little bit of experience in backyard mechanics. I do my own oil change, brakes and a transmission drain/fill.
They offered a 10% discount, but that still makes it around $1000. I think I am going to do it myself. I found some instruction in the Haynes guide of the S60. Just need to get a shopping list of all the parts I need:
-Radiator
-Coolant
-Drain pan
-Upper & lower radiator hose (might as well do that at the same time)
-Tranny fluid to top off lost fluid (just did a drain/fill 2 months ago)
-New clips for the tranny lines + o rings
Anything else that I am missing?

Currently the leak is very minor, what are the chances that this gets worse rapidly?

·
Registered
139 Posts
BE SURE TO USE VOLVO OEM HOSES. The hose connectors are serrated allowing more surface area to bond with the inlet and outlet. Several years ago I had my radiator replaced and they installed non-Volvo OEM hoses, which blew off and blew the engine lickety split.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts