SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a writeup for replacing the radiator and not changing anything else? Or access to VIDA and post up their procedure? I've searched and read but they all included replacing the intercooler, whether with a FMIC or a sandwich mount (ipd, do88, etc.).

I have all the parts ready to go but I'm not sure of the best way to do this. I'm not changing the intercooler or condenser or anything else. I'm hoping I do not have to crack the A/C system and have to drain the system and recharge. If that's the only way to do it, then so be it.

My current thinking is that I have to do the following: (not in order)
-Pull the bumper
-Remove intercooler piping from the intake manifold to the intercooler
-Remove the front belly pan
-Insulate the electric starter electrical connections for this procedure
-Remove the electric fans and shroud
-Remove the radiator support beam
-Unbolt the "sandwich" of the condenser, intercooler and radiator
-Remove the radiator hoses
-Pull radiator from top

Installation is the reverse of removal?

I see a reference to a radiator petcock- is there a petcock on the stock radiator? I'm hoping that makes it a lot less messy to drain the radiator before removal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can do it that way but its twice the work. And besides if you still have the factory SW second intercooler it adds to the it. They drop from the bottom just fine. You dont need to 3vacuate the the ac to do it. It only takes an hour or so. I've done lots of them.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can do it that way but its twice the work. And besides if you still have the factory SW second intercooler it adds to the it. They drop from the bottom just fine. You dont need to 3vacuate the the ac to do it. It only takes an hour or so. I've done lots of them.

Can you please elaborate on how to drop it from the bottom? Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
On the Rs you have take the front bumper off and remove the secondary intercooler. Then you remove the cooling fan it's two bolts and it lifts right out. You then take the two top supporting bolts for the radiator. Remove all the hose and winter cooler pipes. Remove the four side bolts holding the stack together. Then remove the two lower vertical bolts from underneath the whole assembly will swing out then separate the inter cooler an dd's radiator from the condenser transfer all the bushings and brackets to the new radiator. And install in reverse.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the Rs you have take the front bumper off and remove the secondary intercooler. Then you remove the cooling fan it's two bolts and it lifts right out. You then take the two top supporting bolts for the radiator. Remove all the hose and winter cooler pipes. Remove the four side bolts holding the stack together. Then remove the two lower vertical bolts from underneath the whole assembly will swing out then separate the inter cooler an dd's radiator from the condenser transfer all the bushings and brackets to the new radiator. And install in reverse.

Thanks for the detail, rm81!

So you don't need to crack the a/c system at all? That will save some time and money.

·
Registered
16,861 Posts
I know saving money is always nice, but you really should do it all while you're in there and it's all apart anyway. A/C is used in the winter too, for defrost.
I had no issues with the radiator - just needed the indy to do the A/C but man - I'm glad I did the whole sandwich and hoses, etc.
At this age and mileage, they all need it eventually.
Thanks for the detail, rm81!

So you don't need to crack the a/c system at all? That will save some time and money.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know saving money is always nice, but you really should do it all while you're in there and it's all apart anyway. A/C is used in the winter too, for defrost.
I had no issues with the radiator - just needed the indy to do the A/C but man - I'm glad I did the whole sandwich and hoses, etc.
At this age and mileage, they all need it eventually.
What do you mean? I'm not replacing the condenser. The A/C compressor is a few years old, but I replaced it three (?) years ago and new receiver/dryer, expansion valve and o-rings.

I'm doing all of the radiator hoses and clamps as well, expansion tank, tank cap, etc.

Intercooler is fine for now, not spending money on it now.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Question-
I’ve got everything unbolted and I have two issues:
I can’t get the lower trans cooler line loose. Any advice on how to get it out without breaking anything? I’ve tried pushing the little green tabs and prying with a pry bar and that didn’t work and I don’t want to bend/kink a hardline or break anything.

I can’t figure how to get enough clearance to get the radiator out. The intercooler hose necks interfere with everything on the radiator. Also the two big side horns on the radiator are wider than everything else so it’s hard to clear those pieces.

Do I pull the intercooler and radiator together? The condenser is still attached to the hard lines. If I didn’t have those to deal with, it would be really easy.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts