SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning leaves from the engine compartment and I noticed the radiator fans run permanently when the engine is running even starting from cold with an air temperature of 6 deg.C. Regardless of whether the air-con is on or not. I'm sure they never used to do that . As both are on, it tends to point towards a temperature sensor somewhere. Maybe an ECU mental breakdown that needs the battery disconnected for a while ?

Has anyone else come across this and found out what caused it/ found a solution ? The car is a 2015 V60 Polestar with the T6 petrol engine.. I imagine the fans/ control circuitry are the same as on other V60/ S60 models of the same era though.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
You need a fan assembly. Fan module is part of fan. Stay away from aftermarket pieces, they are garbage.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have a similar but different issue, if its warm and I run the car hard, once stopped and tuned off the fan goes ballistic and can be heard inside the house for like 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have a similar but different issue, if its warm and I run the car hard, once stopped and tuned off the fan goes ballistic and can be heard inside the house for like 10 minutes or so.
Most cars will run the fan for several minutes after shutting down if the radiator temp is above a certain point. This is to prevent heat soak. My 33 year old 951 does it, my P80 does it, and I assume my S60 does it, though I've never specifically paid attention to it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car has only done around 14,000 miles from new; as it's used so lightly, the low battery warning shows up quite often since new (another contentious subject, the Volvo dealer says the charging and battery are fine, which I don't believe !!).

Anyhow, I put the battery on charge overnight as the low battery warning was showing ( and my multimeter was showing only 12.1V). Started the engine a few minutes ago, the fans aren't running ! It's done a few strange things in the past when the battery voltage was low, hopefully that's all it was this time.

I'll keep an eye on it and post any updates.

·
Registered
2016 Volvo S60 Polestar
21 Posts
I know there are different Fan settings that show up in VIDA (Not sure if they can be adjusted as I haven’t looked into it) however on the general tab for info about your car, there is a section called “Fan Performance”, there are 3 settings to my knowledge.... low, medium, and high. On my Polestar, it’s set to “High” and I notice the fan will turn on full blast after some normal driving on a warmer day. On my GT6, it was set to “medium” and only really came on when driving at a brisk pace. My guess for low would be for colder climates..

I am wondering if that has something to do with what mentioned above...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts