SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well hey in 1 week me and my dad are going racing on ice with his volvo s60
yeah yeah it safe the ice hs to be @ least 7 feet deep and it on a track (turns and everything) ANY ADVICE!!!!!! on how to take corners and stuff like that plzzz i think we will need it
P.S. the only thing i know about is 1 opponent he has a subaru (dono what model)

the volvo is a T5 and my dad is leaving the standard tires because he is getting so3 tires for the summer and useing the tires that came with the car when he
bought the car.(also sweet VOXX rims)

thx in advance

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by polish:
well hey in 1 week me and my dad are going racing on ice with his volvo s60
yeah yeah it safe the ice hs to be @ least 7 feet deep and it on a track (turns and everything) ANY ADVICE!!!!!! on how to take corners and stuff like that plzzz i think we will need it
P.S. the only thing i know about is 1 opponent he has a subaru (dono what model)

thx in advance

Naturally, I assume that you will dress it up in 4 studded tires. Even then, unless you have a 2.4T or a T5 and that Subaru is not a Turbo, you are finished!

Have fun!

Yannis

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I'll let you know if I learn anything. Volvo is having journalists up to Calgary this week to drive the XC and the S60 AWD on ice (maybe there'll be an XC90 there too but I doubt it). I'll let you know if I learn anything.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
PoLiSh,

If you get a chance, take some pictures. I would love to see what the race looks like and maybe some action shots. I think it is really cool that you guys will be doing an ice race. Does your dads car have DSTC? It might help around the corners.

-Drew

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
first of all whats DSTC lol i dono and well i have a cheap/web cam /digital cam the pics will be blurry i can take a movie clip that will be like 4 megs for like 20 secs (also this is a club they race on grass in summer and im like no way all the dirt and rocks chiping the paint

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Subaru will win, easily! No comparison, it is no good having power without traction. The subaru doesn't even need to be a turbo to win, remember, Volvos have trouble in the wet.

By the way I own both a Volvo and a Subaru.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by applegump:
remember, Volvos have trouble in the wet.

Oh, yeah? How do you figure??? Have been driving them for about 8 yrs. and NEVER had trouble in the wet...Perhaps you are confused with BMWs?

If the Suby and Volvo are outfitted BOTH with studs, then the riceburner better be a turbo otherwise it will be looking at the S60's behind...

Yannis

·
Registered
6 Posts
In response to yur post, Yannis, yes I have driven the Subaru for 12 years and the T6 for 3 years. The Volvo has problems with traction EVEN in the dry, in the wet I have to be VERY gentle and I still get wheel spin. I have also used a Volvo in Russia with Studs, all that did was grind away the ice/snow and dig the tires in deeper.
NO Im not confused with BMW, maybe your confused with Honda when you say riceburner.
About looking at the brick's rear end, that WILL happen when the Scooby laps him!!!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

In response to yur post, Yannis, yes I have driven the Subaru for 12 years and the T6 for 3 years. The Volvo has problems with traction EVEN in the dry, in the wet I have to be VERY gentle and I still get wheel spin. I have also used a Volvo in Russia with Studs, all that did was grind away the ice/snow and dig the tires in deeper.
NO Im not confused with BMW, maybe your confused with Honda when you say riceburner.
About looking at the brick's rear end, that WILL happen when the Scooby laps him!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:

Hmm, I guess I have supernatural abilities (not) that really shine when I get behing he wheel of a T6 since I never have had problems whether it is dry or wet (yeah whatever)...I missed my calling! I am Michael Schumacher's clone! I excel in drivingin the wet!!!

Riceburner? Honda? Sure...Any Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Daihatsu, Isuzu, Suzuki, Nissa, etc. that is japanese, is classifies as a RICEBURNER, whether you like it or not! Can't change where a car has its roots at.

Yannis

So when do you get behind the wheel of a T6? I thought you had a T5 and you know your lieing when you say that the T6 has no trouble with traction. Or maybe when you were behind the wheel you didn't actually turn on the engine! I own a T6 and KNOW it has problems with traction, my dealer knows this, and if you ask any T6 OWNER, they will know. You must have been driving with the winter mode selected or accelerating very slowly or (just behind the wheel in the showroom!). Basically when you floor it or want any mild sporty acceleration the wheels have a tendency to spin.
The V70 has the same problem. Read any car mag, they will concur.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yannis is a salesman at a Volvo dealer so I imagine he drives S80's all the time. If your light footed and have all four studded its amazing how well a front wheel car will do. When I still lived in Maine Saabs were the kings of ice racing, some clubs tried to ban them they were so good.

Just my .02

Rich S.

97 BSR S3 850R
90 BSR 765T

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Ummm...I don't think so. I've been driving high-pressure turbo front-wheel Volvos since 1994 with Z-rated tires and haven't had any problems in snow and ice. I've owned and driven a 1994 850 Turbo, 1998 S70 T5, and 1999 S80 T6 (still own) that have been through many winters in Boston. I've since moved to California and our '01 V70 T5 hasn't seen any snow or ice but I suspect it will do at least as well since it has better weight distribution.

For the record, I'm a big believer in the benefit of 4 snow tires on a car - I've just never found a need for them in my time driving FWD Volvos.

I suspect that your problems in the T6 may have to do with the fact that you drive a Subaru. Threshold traction for a FWD vs. AWD car presents itself in a completely different manner. I've been following this forum and others (Brickboard, Edmunds, vvspy) for the past few years and I've not seen any trend with owners having a problem driving these cars in winter (and if you go to TheCarConnection.com you'll find winter driving test results proclaiming the S80 w/DSTC to be a phenomenal performer on ice.)

Thanks.

-rdo

quote:

Originally posted by GrecianVolvo:

Hmm, I guess I have supernatural abilities (not) that really shine when I get behing he wheel of a T6 since I never have had problems whether it is dry or wet (yeah whatever)...I missed my calling! I am Michael Schumacher's clone! I excel in drivingin the wet!!!

Riceburner? Honda? Sure...Any Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Daihatsu, Isuzu, Suzuki, Nissa, etc. that is japanese, is classifies as a RICEBURNER, whether you like it or not! Can't change where a car has its roots at.

Yannis

So when do you get behind the wheel of a T6? I thought you had a T5 and you know your lieing when you say that the T6 has no trouble with traction. Or maybe when you were behind the wheel you didn't actually turn on the engine! I own a T6 and KNOW it has problems with traction, my dealer knows this, and if you ask any T6 OWNER, they will know. You must have been driving with the winter mode selected or accelerating very slowly or (just behind the wheel in the showroom!). Basically when you floor it or want any mild sporty acceleration the wheels have a tendency to spin.
The V70 has the same problem. Read any car mag, they will concur.

·
Registered
6 Posts
"Ummm...I don't think so. I've been driving high-pressure turbo front-wheel Volvos since 1994 with Z-rated tires and haven't had any problems in snow and ice."

When I tried to drive with the Z rated michelin tires, it was impossible to drive up a slight incline even in Winter mode and very gently. (By theway the T6 is a low pressure turbo)

"I've owned and driven a 1994 850 Turbo, 1998 S70 T5, and 1999 S80 T6 (still own) that have been through many winters in Boston."

Is that with snow/ice? Or just cold and wet?

I've since moved to California and our '01 V70 T5 hasn't seen any snow or ice but I
suspect it will do at least as well since it has better weight distribution."

Except if it is fully loaded in the back.

"For the record, I'm a big believer in the benefit of 4 snow tires on a car - I've just never found a need for them in my time driving FWD Volvos."

I had to purchase winter tires and performance in snow is good but you have to be gentle.

"I suspect that your problems in the T6 may have to do with the fact that you drive a Subaru.Threshold traction for a FWD vs. AWD car presents itself in a completely different manner.:

I understand that but my reply began about a race on ice and was trying to say that the Subaru will have a great advantage in the traction department. For everyday none pedal to the metal driving the S80 is fine. Thats why I bought it.

I've been following this forum and others (Brickboard, Edmunds, vvspy) for the past few years and I've not seen any trend with owners having a problem driving these cars in winter...."

I haven't read the article but I will do. I have also been on those sites forever. But as I said earlier, the only thing I ever intended to say was that the Scooby has better traction than the Volvo (obviously) and that is a big factor so the Scooby won't need as much Hp to compete.

Hope this clarifies stuff.

PS I don't have DSTC because it wasn't available so I dont know how that would change stuff.

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts