SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seen an ad for XC70 150k under book value, emailed guy took it for a ride and gave it a quick look... test drive went smooth, no lights, engine pulled shifted smooth stopped good....seen a few things wrong but nothing major that I could SEE (little did I know)

So I brought it home for $1000 under kbb fair book value.

got it home

discovered timing belt area problem

first batch of parts arrive, mostly cosmetic/critical . so I can resale!

will get there eventually, first to fix some other niggles

fix passenger door not opening from inside (discovered this later)
(picture of drillhole with ziptie)

fixed fuel door hinge (discovered this later)

also fixed some issues with DIM/cluster..knew about this and almost didnt buy because of this but figured it was fixable (no turn signals, rolling clock).. involved some soldering with magnifying glass over a weekend..

okay at think point I decided to make some space in my garage not knowing how long it will take

started work on passenger side

replaced timing belt, tensioner, pulley cleaned tb area.. ok at this point I think pcv problem resaon for oil leak.. ordered parts and continued to fix other problems

rebuilt passenger side axle from my old good S60 axle, greased up caliper slides, cleaned wheel and painted caliper, discovered ball joint was shot, replaced with good old S60 ball joint.

decided its time to work on the other side

discovered this

broken spring!

okay ill leave this till i get another spring... checked ball joint... looks okay.. axle is in bad shape need to rebuild with spare I have but will hold off till I get a spring.. put wheel back on...

took care of lose front bumper, fixed right side fog light, new bulbs in both directionals, got new headlight wipers on, and fixed strange wiper 'rest' issue.

Okay, so then I figure its time to work on the drivetrain.

Got the car jacked up on all fours and tested to make sure AWD still worked.

It does!

Okay, time to replace rear diff gear oil..

After removing all old oil this was all I found

okay filled with fresh fluid, not leaking.. desided I'd rust proof the muffler while i was back there. dropped the exhast and sprayed muffler with rust convertor/high heat paint.. re-attached then went on to change the angle gear fluid... fluid was really dark.

degreased angle gear.

took a nap, decided its time to work on the PCV

all came apart pretty straightd forward as Ive already done this on my S60 before, one thing different was the fuel line release for this year

discovered oil trap was full of whitish oil

you can see some of it oozing out of the lower port. it came oozing out of oil trap when removed..

also since the PCV was clogged oil made it way all the way to the ETM

this is where I leave off, have a new intake gasket and oil trap arriving on monday.

hoping to put this thing back together and running high mileage synthetic and most probably will sell it on. didnt realize how much condensation/moisture problem this car had.. and the suspension issues are only minor compared to engine issues

hopefully this will do another 10k then I think its done for.

thinking I overpaid for this piece of crap... my S60 was in much better shape, although the brake booster in this one isnt hissing, driver seat still moves and is comfortable, and transmission issues are not there (all issues with my S60)

seems this car had some serious moisture/condensation issues. amazingly the previous owner was still driving it like this

ive learned something... check under the covers before buying something

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
How did you test drive it and not feel/hear the broken spring???

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its broken in such a way that it was undetectable unless you jack it up... will try to get hold of 2nd hand spring on monday

·
Registered
16,902 Posts
Both of my xc along with my dads had broken springs and you can't tell at all.

It's quite a common problems for the 01-02 cars

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I couldnt get one 2nd hand and erie vovo will only sell the whole strut assembly for 125. So think I'm going to get a pair of OEM volvo springs for 180.

anyone know if the new spring can be safely installed with just spring compressors or do you need some kind of press?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
cleaned out breather ports (the bottom one was was completely blocked, used a metal clothes hanger to reach the oil pan, oil trap was filled)

cleaned up various hoses

@NIZMO you aint kiddin'

My other option on the spring issue is to get a lowering spring kit for my S60 AWD like the eibach kit then use my old original S60 AWD springs in the XC70 like ive seen other do on volvoxc forums, then id end up with two lowered vehicles for the price of one, would be a ton of work... what you guys think?

my S60 has lots of rake currently and ive always wanted to fix that

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Good work. Looks like you will have the XC70 back in good shape in no time. If it was me, I will have to pay my local indie Volvo fella to do the work.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
@XC70XC thanks! i know im saving a ton of money doing the work myself

new oil trap installed

engine coming back together (its all finished now but I didnt take a pic)

got rid of this

replaced with this

removed the rear brake rotors and my brother took them to work and turned them.. one of them had a big rust spot on them due to sticking caliper

result of sticking caliper

I reused my old S60 semi metalic pads and slapped it all back together, the parking brake shoes were CENTRIC brand so theyve been replaced at some point, just the passenger side parking brake was sticking a bit. a little WD-40 and its all working again.

costed me nothing, except for the paint

I ended up finding a 2nd hand spring for $25 + $15 shipping.. so $40 hoping it should be road worthy by friday

also still got to put these in, then flush the trans and see if there is anything still leaking from the motor

its going to need struts and shocks badly but thats for another time...

will let you know how it goes!

OH and this came in one of the boxes as protection, thought it was cool so I hung it up :p

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Your car is looking good. Most of my front end has had new items put in over the last year. Lower arm bush, torque rod, engine mounts, timing belt and one brake sensor. Good thing the transmission valve body was taken care by the extended warranty.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Great work - I can't believe the past owner neglected soo much maintenance on that wagon! This thread would serve good reference to those looking to pick up an older XC70 and what to watch out for!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Great work - I can't believe the past owner neglected soo much maintenance on that wagon! This thread would serve good reference to those looking to pick up an older XC70 and what to watch out for!
Agreed. Even my one-owner car still need some work done despite full service history with Volvo. They are mainly wear and tear stuff. Good thing the valve body issue in the transmission was taken care by the extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
got the new spring in and its sitting an inch lower than the other side..

spring has writing on it 2002 XC70 or V70 X/C should they be the same? might have to go for new springs now

also did a full detail in the interior, fixed some sunroof issues, changed the oil, fixed the driver side axle (what a messy job)

just this spring nonsense holding me up (or not)

my S60 has developed an exhaust leak.. i think near the resonator... all original exhaust... not bad for going 170k

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
took it for a ride around the block this morning and hear a whining noise i hadnt heard before but its driveable and nothing leaking yet

i got nervous and picked up this today

im really trying to be moderately cheap here but this stuff worked wonders in my S60

so on the spring issues the scrap yard offered to send the spring for the other side of the same car (replace in pairs), but they have the rear springs too, so what I'm thinking is that their so called v70 x/c is actually a v70 awd? wouldnt those springs be the same as s60 awd? im pretty sure they are but will double check, this way id get all four springs for the price of a new one. id really like to see this thing lowered. also going to receive a 'forever black' kit possibly today, going to blacken the trim.

as it sits now

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
flushed trans fluid, forever blacked

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Your XC70 is coming along nicely. My indie Volvo guy also use Mobil 1 fully syn oil for my car.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Mobil1 is the best, been using it in my S60 since I got it at 145k and its cleaned it up quite well.

got 2 new front springs on, replaced accessory belt tensioner pulley and rotated the tires.

its on the road now and being driven, will do a checkup in about 500 miles

after the new springs and tires rotated

next thing is to get rid of the car it replaced, with that money id try to get 2 tires to make all 4 matching and struts/shocks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Bravo! Great work documenting all your hard work... if the day ever came I was looking for a XC70, this thread would come in handy REAL quick!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks, I wish I took more 'before' pictures, it was in a real sorry state to begin with. Now it seems pretty decent but there was a lot of things I didn't document, like the grease that sprayed all over the wheels and how I reorganized the spare tire area with a new plastic holder (he had the jack and tools in the plastic tray area), one of the foglight bulb sockets was broken I secured with ziptie, the headlight wipers one was missing a blade and both were rusted not touching the headlights, bumper was broken on the inside and i had to snap off some pins , headliner had some gunk on it and i had to clean with microfiber towel, cam seal and turbo drain pipe was leaking -- i didnt chenge either of them (hope the new PCV trap fixed that!), i got the wrong OEM rear wiper but I used the blade in the old metal wiper... still waiting for some sunroof parts (the sunshade needs new guides) and there's a squeak coming from the middle back seat i need to eliminate, also I disconnected the passenger mirror because it would move up every time you opened the door, so now the puddle light doesnt work and temp sensor shows --f, i need to figure out how to just disconnect thew motor or maybe find a new mirror.

Only thing that concerns me now is the alternator, my S60's gave out at 145k and its not a job you want to do on the side of the road.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts