SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

R134A AC Conversion & Recomended Pressure on the 240 System

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  George@Swedespeed 
#1 ·
I just evacuated the old coolant out of my 240 and filled the system with R134A. I know it's not as cold as the old stuff, but it just doesn't seem all that cold. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this conversion to the car, and if so, what pressure levels you run the R134 coolant at?

#2 ·
I have read that in-order to convert from R12 to R134a you should replace the compressor, receiver drier, expansion valve, and all O-rings. You should also put in new refrigerant oil and rid the system of all of the old oil by flushing the system. This might be the best way to get the highest effective cooling from the conversion. I am pretty sure that Volvo still sells a conversion kit.

-Drew

#4 ·
FCP Groton sells conversion kits.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo240ac.htm

You don't need to change the compressor, but to do it right you need to do a lot of things. I'm sticking with r12, but first I have to swap out my old compressor.

BTW, did you pay to have the r12 removed, or did you do it yourself? Just curious what it costs. One place quoted me $50+, which I thought was excessive for just removing the r12.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.