SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, I didn't race one.

My car is in the shop and I got one as a rental.

WHAT A HUNK OF JUNK!!

As I drove home in this POS - I thought to myself - somewhere is some poor schmuch who works hard 8-5, and a Hyundai Sonata is all he can afford. So he drives it, and thinks is nice. Poor guy! Seriously, this is the car for people who don't like cars. You hit the gas and NOTHING HAPPENS. I hear the engine SCREAMING and I'm going NOWHERE.

I'm already missing my car.

You think low octane and heat soak are bad...try a Hyundai..it'll change your whole perspective on performance.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The new ones aren't that bad. They're on par with the Accords and Camrys and Fusion's of the world. I'd probably choose a Sonata before a Fusion...

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Re: R vs. Hyundai Sonata (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
WHAT A HUNK OF JUNK!!

As I drove home in this POS - I thought to myself - somewhere is some poor schmuch who works hard 8-5, and a Hyundai Sonata is all he can afford. So he drives it, and thinks is nice. Poor guy!

New Sonata is actually a nice car. Besides it poor sport to poke fun at people's income. C'mon, Dude.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't mean to pick on the poor people - I genuinely meant I felt sorry for them.

It's all relative. I"m sure at some point I've been next to a guy in a 911 Turbo and he thought "that poor guy in his Volvo R thinks his car is nice, but it sucks. Poor guy."

It's all relative.

I think a Sonata is a good car for someone that really isnt' into cars.

I JUST got to drive my sister in law's BRAND new Accord V6. WAY better than the 4 banger sonata I drove. handling is better too..so it's not just the motor.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Decent transportation.
If you're trying now to be Jewish, it's SCHMUCK with a K

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

I don't mean to pick on the poor people - I genuinely meant I felt sorry for them.

It's all relative. I"m sure at some point I've been next to a guy in a 911 Turbo and he thought "that poor guy in his Volvo R thinks his car is nice, but it sucks. Poor guy."

It's all relative.

I think a Sonata is a good car for someone that really isnt' into cars.

I JUST got to drive my sister in law's BRAND new Accord V6. WAY better than the 4 banger sonata I drove. handling is better too..so it's not just the motor.

hmm, we're a little out-of-touch: poor people aren't buying new Hyundais, though I'm sure many would love to if they had that much money.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Re: R vs. Hyundai Sonata (flybynight)

Quote, originally posted by flybynight »

New Sonata is actually a nice car. Besides it poor sport to poke fun at people's income. C'mon, Dude.

They are around the $18K mark so they are in the same class as the Camry, Accord and Altimas so why would they be consider a poor man's car? I know this one wealthy Korean business owner who drives a Sonata. Maybe he's just being loyal but I think Hyundai is really making a push and is becoming a threat to the japanese car makers.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

No, I didn't race one.

WHAT A HUNK OF JUNK!!

As I drove home in this POS - I thought to myself - somewhere is some poor schmuch who works hard 8-5, and a Hyundai Sonata is all he can afford. So he drives it, and thinks is nice. Poor guy! Seriously, this is the car for people who don't like cars. You hit the gas and NOTHING HAPPENS. I hear the engine SCREAMING and I'm going NOWHERE.

I'm already missing my car.

You think low octane and heat soak are bad...try a Hyundai..it'll change your whole perspective on performance.

Hey man, at least you didn't get a focus/neon/malibu.
Actually not to put down the Hyundais, I used to hate them but now they're okay... I would buy one because it's got 100k warranty. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Re: R vs. Hyundai Sonata (blackTT55)

Quote, originally posted by blackTT55 »

They are around the $18K mark so they are in the same class as the Camry, Accord and Altimas so why would they be consider a poor man's car? I know this one wealthy Korean business owner who drives a Sonata. Maybe he's just being loyal but I think Hyundai is really making a push and is becoming a threat to the japanese car makers.

You don't know those korean people, I've have Korean friends with wads of cash, and they still stand by their country.

Gotta hand it to them.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: R vs. Hyundai Sonata (blackTT55)

18K ...... Isn't that a number that some of us with 2004 Rs are going to see our resale value creeping towards .......

I just got a call from my bank (holding the lease) and I think they said that the residual value was 24K and was asking if I wanted to buy out of the lease early.

Makes you think. A year or two from now you won't be able to get a Hyundai for what the resale value is .....

-Benster

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Decent transportation.
If you're trying now to be Jewish, it's SCHMUCK with a K

You mean Yiddish. Hooray! I corrected the mighty JRL!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (Short Circuit)

Quote, originally posted by Short Circuit »

You mean Yiddish. Hooray! I corrected the mighty JRL!
No, you did not.
Yiddish is a slang LANGUAGE spoken by JEWS.
I asked him what he wanted to be, not what language he spoke

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

WHAT A HUNK OF JUNK!!

Sounds like you have the 4 banger. The V6 should be much better since it clocks 0-60 in the upper 6's.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Re: R vs. Hyundai Sonata (stevectsai)

Quote, originally posted by stevectsai »
Hey man, at least you didn't get a focus/neon/malibu.:

Ditto this point. When my car was in the shop for over a week they gave me a Dodge Caravan.

It was great I took all my friends out to the bars and I would use the remote to open both automatic sliding doors. Girls thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. It was definately a pimp ride for the college scene.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: R vs. Hyundai Sonata (MagoonR)

Contrary to popular beliefs here, something like 95% of the population just want decent transportation.
They don't know (and don't care) about the difference between a turbo and brakes.
As long as they have nice, RELIABLE, transportation and don't have to spend a lot of money, they're happy.
A Hyundai fills the bill very nicely.
They're decent and now good looking cars (with the best warranty in the business)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: R vs. Hyundai Sonata (JRL)

Prior to our R we had 6 Hyundais ranging from an 2 elantras, sonata, santa fe and a tiburon all of them bought brand new. All of them were great cars. We bought them because both of us were driving 75 miles one way to work and the warranty was great. We could have bought better cars, but it didnt make sense at the time. Let me add the Hyundai dealer was also 10 times better then our current volvo dealer.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Re: R vs. Hyundai Sonata (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
They're decent and now good looking cars (with the best warranty in the business)

I wouldn't go as far as to say they are good looking but yes at least they got the 10 year 100K warranty. Can\will Volvo offer this? Heck no!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts