SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The HAIL won a decisive victory unfortunately for my 07 S60R. Here are a few pictures of the damage. I put a sticky note on each dent but ran out of sticky's well before I finished the hood!

Anyone have any comments on how effective Paintless Dent Removal (PDR) will be on this? I received a quote from my preferred body shop to repair the damage by replacing the hood, trunk, and roof of the car plus most of the moldings and basically repaint the entire car except the bumpers. Any guesses how much that adds up to??

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
the pink ones must denote where all the powaRRRRR is stored.

Next time I suggest several matress toppers sewn together to make an emergency hail tarp. That's how we do it Okie style.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Judging by your pictures, it should all be doable by PDR. Will probably be cheaper to replace hood and trunklid if those all indeed need PDR work. If at all possible, have them PDR the roof. Replacement should be avoided if possible. You kept your glass so it's all good.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I mostly agree with storm, but I can't tell what the front area of the roof looks like. If the dents didn't get into the edge area of the sunroof and/or windshield (so it didn't mash up those edges) where the PDR can't straighten, then it should all be good. Can't tell for sure, but probably replace the moldings along the roof, too. (and I also agree, good it didn't break any glass, that would have been bad... been there, done that... gotta love livin' on the plains).

inteller is right, too, if you had any warning, moving blankets or padded quilts do wonders for saving a car from hail.

Other option: Paint the caR white and tell everyone it's the new "Golf Ball" look that is taking Europe by STORM (swidt)... and that the dimples add 2 mpg in economy (makes the caR fly farther) and 3 mph on top end (ditto).

Honestly, I'm so paranoid (and stuck without a garage due to the remodel of the house) I've driven my car downtown and parked it in one of the parking garages during a couple of storms this spring. The storms that rolled through here yesterday dumped water only (we didn't have severe weather, thank goodness) otherwise it would have been downtown again...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Every time you know a bad storm is coming, you get your car to cover :) At least I do.. So **** like that doesn't happen. I also have a garage, which helps... The sticky notes are lol

Sorry you have to deal with that.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I was stuck in traffic on my way home from work when the storm hit so I didnt have an opportunity to seek cover.

The estimate from the body shop is $17,000 if you can believe that! I'm sure the insurance company is going to insist on PDR but some if the biggest dents are along the edge of the windshield/roof so that will be an issue. The roof moldings are toast as well.

Everything is backed up due to this storm and another one in Calgary so it will be a while before I hear from my adjuster.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
17k? damn, i'd just do buy back and drive it if they total it. find a place that does some cheap quality pdr and get the worst ones out. pick up a used hood/trunk for the rest.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
$17,000 sound incredibly high for that job. Can you post a picture of the estimate? My hail damage was 10x worse than yours was less than half of your estimate and that was at the second most expensive body shop in town w.r.t labor/paint rates. Something doesn't quite sound right here.

I had some major whoppers that were on the roof edges, bodymen can bang those out as best they can and bondo over the little that is left, no problems. Go get a second or third estimate is my advice. Or have the insurance come do their own.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The quote is four pages long. It includes replacing the hood, roof, trunk and all moldings and repair all other body panels. It breaks down as:

Parts: $4500
Other: $2500
Labor: $10,000

Labor rate is around $95/hr. Dont forget that I'm in Canada and everything costs more here. The MSRP on my car was $68,000 back in 2007.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The adjuster for the insurance company will prepare her own quote and that is what they will use for a final decision for repair. Any differences will be discussed between the adjuster and the repair shop to determine what action is really necessary.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You should insist on a PDR quote as well -> much better than the bangout-bondo-and-paint option. Also the hood/trunk are exactly the same for all of that S60 series, so getting good used examples would work fine and save some money.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Oh man. Sorry to hear about the damage to your R. We had golf ball size hail where I live and luckily I was driving when it happened so I was able to pull my R into a Gas Station really quick and hide under the cover. My Wife's Jeep Liberty was out in it and was damaged about $12500. My Mom's 2006 S80 was out in it too but her damage only totaled $6000. Best of luck to you getting it repaired. My only advice is to look around and find a really good body shop.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
PDR for sure, you do not want to repaint your entire car.

The other thing I know about PDR, especially hail damage is that there may be smaller dents that aren't noticeable caused by the larger ones made. Once you remove the large dents, the smaller ones appear around it as the metal is now more laxed than before. Hard to explain, but the PDR guy will tell you this.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yes, in town my VR lives outside in a neighbourhood with 80 foot mature oak trees. Every few years these produce a bumper crop of acorns that drop pointy side down and are murder on aluminum and thin steel (looks like small hail damage but with a little pointy dent in the middle.) Anyway PDR has worked very well for me and many of my neighbours.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Labor rates at my body shop were $90 an hour and $48 for paint so not that different. I'm REALLY hard pressed to see how that job will take 100 hours of labor. My car was much worse, and was done in two and a half work days by one body man and myself prepping/sanding.

The replacement panels should come pre-painted so no hood painting or trunk painting. If they want 100 hours to pound out those little things, replace some door moldings, drop some headliners and such, I'd for sure want another estimate.

·
Registered
327 Posts
PDR does great job, removed 99% of the dents except for hard tough corners/edges. They will trt any corners and edges and sometimes gets it all out.
Used PDR many times, they do a good job and and you need not respray unless the paint has chipped off.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
The quote is four pages long. It includes replacing the hood, roof, trunk and all moldings and repair all other body panels. It breaks down as:

Parts: $4500
Other: $2500
Labor: $10,000

Labor rate is around $95/hr. Dont forget that I'm in Canada and everything costs more here. The MSRP on my car was $68,000 back in 2007.
Used hood - < 1K, rather than fixing the dents in the roof (or anywhere for the matter) you can just use body filler and paint over them, which would save substantially on cost, trunk lid is standard S60, and you can get a CFwerks aftermarket spoiler panel thing. As for the rest, PDR. It shouldn't cost more than 6K between parts and paint, if you can work a deal with a shop.

I've had a quarter panel replaced, new (used) door put on, and 8 panels on the car completely repainted and any dents fixed in the process. It's cost me about 6K.

My s40 had the rear bumper replaced/painted, door fixed (smashed in) painted, quarter panel fixed (rust, dent) and painted for $1,600.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Looks like a wind tunnel test vehicle, lol.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts