SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys (and girls).
Merry Christmas.

Was wondering if anyone ever compared the R springs to those found on the AWD p2 models.
Which are stiffer?
I know the R ones are slightly lower (10mm)?

Any spring rate info?

Thanks,
V

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found two posts which mention the comparison.
One says they are stiffer, the other that they are softer...lol
So basically, back to square one.

Anybody want to chime in here?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I found two posts which mention the comparison.
One says they are stiffer, the other that they are softer...lol
So basically, back to square one.

Anybody want to chime in here?

Wondering why you are interested... your sig says you have a R... the non-R AWD springs ARE at least 10mm taller and put the ass end of the car way up in the air... regardless of soft or hardness of the springs, you don't want non-R AWD springs on a R. For non-R AWD cars, put R springs on it is the way to go.

All my local references do say the R's are softer...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason for the question is that a friend plans on doing a full suspension refresh on an s60 awd and wants to change springs as well.
Rather than getting a full lowering coil kit like eibach or H&r (it's a daily and the roads around here are terrible...I have coil springs on one and coilovers on the other so I know what it's like) we were thinking of using the R springs seeing as I have a set with 38k on them and look brand new.
If they lower the car all the better, now the question is how much softer are they really?
A soft ride for a DD isn't a bad thing, but the last thing one wants is for it to be bouncing all over the place or being unstable at speed.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks really good.
Did you only swap the rear ones for the P2R ones or all 4 corners?
How's the driving and handling?

·
Registered
485 Posts
That looks really good.
Did you only swap the rear ones for the P2R ones or all 4 corners?
How's the driving and handling?

No, I needed all new struts/shocks, so I pre-mounted the all for springs on the new units and then just swapped the old for new.

Made for a all new feel to the car. It handles fine, it's no R but great DD. Don't for get to get a 4 wheel alignment afterwords.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's great to hear.
Exactly the info I was looking for!
Plus the car has a strut brace, lots of poly bushings and such so I'm sure it'll be a nice middle ground between complete stock and a (properly working) R.

Thanks again bud!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
For those of us with V70R's that tow or frequently have seven people in the car with the third row seat, the stock springs start to sag after a while and the front sits way too low to be pulling 3300 lbs around.

The back is higher but still not quite high enough, I have scrape marks all along the bottom of my suspension in the back.

For a weekend warrior or toy the R looks great lowered, but for a DD it's just a little bit too low. My black R used to sit so low in the front people asked if I had dropped it, like 2 fingers of gap between the tire and top of the fender. That was with 168k mi on it, the soft R springs like to sag.

I would love to raise my car 10 mm up with AWD springs. IMHO the R is a decent tow vehicle. Tons of low RPM turbo charged torque (I live at 4400 ft asl) the 06/07 autos have a decent trans, I can easily put a nice big aftermarket trans cooler on it, nice big factory radiator, huge 13" Brembo Brakes front and rear, the only thing holding it back is ground clearance.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel you.
In that case I would definetly suggest you go with the AWD rear springs because besides the 10mm lift, it'll also give you extra wiggle room due to the higher spring rates which mean it'll take more load to compress vs the stock R springs.

As for low....i have an R on eibach with maybe 1 finger clearance front and rear (decent ride) and another R with coilovers and aproximately the same gap but the ride is unbearable in the city especially with potholes. It absorbs dips and imperfections great but breaks in pavement or bumps and terrible even at their softest setting.

For the Daily driven s60 in the city, some good aftermarket struts and R springs look promising.
👍

1 - 10 of 10 Posts