SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: R Vs 545/550i (ZAF)

In a word.....slower; especially against the 550.

Brace yourself for the endless mod discussion that we all know is coming. Oh....and the altitude and rain/snow banter too.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

stock V stock.
I know that the R is slower especially when compared to 550i. Just wanted to know whats the real difference between them..

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
both in stock form the beemer will have th R off the line but at high speeds and on a track the R will be more fun IMO. But these 2 cars are in completely different demographics. Both VERY nice cars.

You think the R has quirks.... the BMW 50 anything has it's fair share.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
i think a modded R - ECU/dp/exhaust would give a 545 a run for the money....maybe beat it out....

550..not sure....

And here we go yet again.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
i think a modded R - ECU/dp/exhaust would give a 545 a run for the money....maybe beat it out....

550..not sure....

What if you go Dinan on the 550??

The 550 is certainly faster, and being a V8 is far easier to launch than an R.
The R is alot less expensive, I think the Volvo interior is nice than beemers.

At speed, the 2 cars will be very similar. I don't think a 550 could run away from an R if both are on a highway.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thats nice.
But stock for stock was the question. You can take S60R to ATM and they will make it so fast it can beat a Ferrari Enzo. So thats not the point.

I was surprised by the remark that the R would be faster on the highway since the R has AWD and less power than the 545, one would expect it to be the other way around.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts

Quote, originally posted by ZAF »
Thats nice.
But stock for stock was the question. You can take S60R to ATM and they will make it so fast it can beat a Ferrari Enzo. So thats not the point.

I was surprised by the remark that the R would be faster on the highway since the R has AWD and less power than the 545, one would expect it to be the other way around.

less wieght to and motors work differently

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: R Vs 545/550i (R_Rated)

Speaking from (recent) experience, my stock R (MT) pulled on a 545i accelerating from 60mph+. Obviously could be 100s of different reasons, day, time, drivers, what color underwear I was wearing at the time, etc... but for me its seeing is believing and I'm a believer in the R having the edge at highway speeds (let's say I would prefer to keep silent about what might happen off the line though...). FYI C&D said 0-60 5.5s and 14.1 for 1/4 mi so sounds reasonable enough.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Interesting experiences guys..
So it is safe to say that the S60R performance is very close or comparable to the 545i overall?

Not really. The 545i is a faster car with a better powertrain. The 550i is worlds ahead. My local BMW dealer was kind enough to lend me a 550i for a week, and it would leave an R standing still, even a modded one. And I've seen some rather modified Rs come out of Alamo Autosports.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts

Interesting experiences guys..
So it is safe to say that the S60R performance is very close or comparable to the 545i overall?

Well, probably not from a standing start.
But, neither a 545 nor a 550 would run away from an R @ highway speeds.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: R Vs 545/550i (Nebor)

Quote, originally posted by Nebor »

Not really. The 545i is a faster car with a better powertrain. The 550i is worlds ahead. My local BMW dealer was kind enough to lend me a 550i for a week, and it would leave an R standing still, even a modded one. And I've seen some rather modified Rs come out of Alamo Autosports.

Considering that a 550 is EASILY 20 grand more than an R, it should be alot faster.
I am not convinced that it truly is alot faster though.

·
Registered
679 Posts

How does the R compare interms of acceleration performance to the BMW 545i and/or 550i?

Thanks

I test drove a 550 about 2 months ago while I was going thru my 'not happy with my R mood'.

I have not driven a rear wheel drive car with that kind of power for more than 20 years when I drove an old college roomates 454 corvette.

As I hit the gas in a sweeping left hand turn, I forgot that rear wheel drive cars often slide thru the turn ... I over corrected and started sliding down the road sideways when another car began coming right towards me.
The woman driving the other car looked like she [email protected] herself as she pulled her car over on the side of the 2 lane road.

The car dealer in the passenger seat tried to remain calm but totally freaked out. Unfortunately, I had my 12 year old son in the rear seat at the time who let a scream of excitement and quickly asked for me to do it again.

I slowly drove back to the dealership and asked about the 530ix model.

Bottom line - The 550 would eat our stock or slightly modified R's breakfast lunch and dinner

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: R Vs 545/550i (MMIV R)

Quote, originally posted by MMIV R »
Bottom line - The 550 would eat our stock or slightly modified R's breakfast lunch and dinner

Blasphemer........I mean realist. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Don't let Zigger see this or he'll go into Beemer envy yet again.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts