SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know there are several people on the board who daily drive a XC70 and the R is the play toy. JRL, Ron, I'm sure there are others.

I know Aurther C R swapped an XC70.

Lately I've about hit my limit with dealing with the R's 4C as my daily driver. The roads where I live are just so terrible, and they are only getting worse.

For a LONG time my daily beater was a 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback sedan (SUS). I owned the car for about 10 years, took it from 80k miles to 160k miles. It was slower than snail snot with the 2.5/auto trans setup 'at our elevation, but the ground clearance was awesome and I forgot how well that suspension handled our garbage roads.

So lately I have been thinking about after I buy my wife a S60t5 to replace her civic I'm going to buy either an XC70 or an XC90 2.5t awd to replace my 300zx TT.

I figure I don't need it to be a race car or anything, but being able to get out of its own way is a must. If I bought an XC70 I would at least need to do a tune/exhaust/IC/filter.

I think even if you get one with 17" wheels, they still have a ton more sidewall than the 235/45/17's on the R.

I really like the XC90's but I'm stuck. The T6's have that bull **** garbage GM 4 speed auto from the GTP that blows up at the stock hp level, and I just don't want the V8 as there is no upgrade path past a tune and exhaust. I would like to be able to pull a trailer with this setup, and I just don't think the V8 would do all that well up here at 4400 ASL.

With XC90 2.5t, it's super slow stock, but it's basic Volvo I5 turbo stuff, so there is a huge upgrade potential. IE I have an entire spare R motor/R manifold/K24 just sitting around from my 04 V70R parts car. So f I wanted I could go as far as making an R powered XC90.

And it's not like I'm exactly shy of doing the work seeing as I have a 30X60 shop to work on my car projects, and have swapped a 92 MR2 from the non turbo 5SFE, to the turbo 3SGTE. It was my friends car and he blew up the stock na motor.

There has got to be some one out there that has already r swapped a XC90. Maybe one of the crazy swedes?

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
That sounds like it would be awesome!

·
Registered
453 Posts
im signed up for seeing what happens with this. im still looking for a daily to help keep the miles off of my VR and am on the lookout for an XC of some sort as well. Sorry I don't have any good info to help, but ill be happy to provide some insight, encouragement, emotional, & moral support via the interwebs in the process lol. I think an XC90R would be the deal!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Just put a k24 on a XC90 and do a custom dp, inlet pipe, green injectors, tune. Pretty simple.

Or easier just put a 19T on it with a bigger wheel or something. That will direct bolt on, and if its past an 05 it has an R manifold on it already.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Noble 600 swap the XC is the obvious solution... If you get to end of the rainbow and get that pot 'o gold. The V8 will be way powerful still at this altitude. It will have good low end torque. I've always wanted to get my hands on one.

Since you want to try the R swap and got the parts, keep in mind that you are moving a lot heavier car. Stress on the engine at the same output will be higher. But the R is already a heavy car, so who knows, it might not make a measurable difference. Whatever you do, this sounds like a fun project.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts