SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with summer coming up quick how will my R's stock intercooler system hold up or just in general
i know there is a twin system design:thumbdown: ... should i go with FMIC or stick with the stock

im running IPD exhaust , SNABB intake pipe, Evolve AMS intake, .....and this month im getting a softloader tune

what should i do???:confused: :beer:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Easy question. Answer is yes you def want to upgrade. Either go PHMIC viva or custom build your own like i am doing this weekend. Not only is the R intercooler horrible at keeping temps down on a stock R its also is not ideal for flow. Due to the piping diameter of the smaller intercooler going down to 1 inch. Go get a new intercooler and enjoy power all summer without having to lose 20-30 hp or whatever the figure is when it gets hot out. You will def not regret it. Especially with a tune on the way!

Anthony

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Depends on what the temp is where you live, Connecticut isn't nearly as bad as some other states, but anything over 80 really sucks.
Would you guys recommend getting the FMIC prior to getting the softloader so they can alter the tune in such a way to compliment the FMIC especially when realistically the FMIC is the last mod there is placing me in the stage 2 situation!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Stock FMIC sucks so bad, I would recommend aftermarket to anyone with an R. I suppose I would get more benefit from it here in SoCal with our blazin' hot summers than someone in Conneticut, but a heat-soaked R gets nowhere fast - no matter where you live.

Vio, As far as the tune goes, I don't think IPD even changes anything with the tune based on FMIC alone, the only thing I really was asked for in regards to my tune was MT (stage 2) or GT (stage 1) with or without torque delete for my 05. Ken Pruett deals with the tune questions at IPD, I suppose you can ask via email through their website for an official answer.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Would you guys recommend getting the FMIC prior to getting the softloader so they can alter the tune in such a way to compliment the FMIC especially when realistically the FMIC is the last mod there is placing me in the stage 2 situation!
Blazin is right, they don't change it when you get a FMIC :(

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Water-meth is an option as well. Ive had my R for 4 summers now, never had an upgraded IC until now. And I had IPD stage II, TME DP and Exhaust. And if you ask those who drove my car like that (Fitzy for example), they will tell you that I wasn't missing out.

That said, I'm dying to see how she runs with the new IC...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Go for it CT can get hot in the summer those 90 by 90 days the R is a dog in the heat and you will appreciate a fmic.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Go for it CT can get hot in the summer those 90 by 90 days the R is a dog in the heat and you will appreciate a fmic.
I laugh at your 90 by 90!

Try 113 by 80!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts