SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't know if this is normal or not, but my R has been making a vacuum type sound from the engine bay, I notice it at idle mostly. Its not very loud from the cabin, but standing outside its fairly loud. It does it when the car is warm or cold, happens regardless of the outside conditions. My girlfriend says my car is growling if THAT helps describe it at all. It makes the sound for a few seconds at a time, then stops, then makes it again. No distinct intervals or anything. I will be taking my car to the dealer in a few weeks, I want to have some idea as to what they should be looking for though.

edit: it has been making the sound more and more recently

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just a guess... but could it be your a/c compressor kicking on? If so, it could be a bad bearing.
For a test, when it starts making the noise again, turn of the a/c from the control switch and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: (kmagnuss)

Quote, originally posted by kmagnuss »
Just a guess... but could it be your a/c compressor kicking on?

That would be my first guess too. They're pretty loud in Volvos in general.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Re: (2004volvos60R)

Could also be the air pump or the vacuum pump or the Cooling fan stuck on high. Those three things I've heard described as a vacuum noise before.

Could even be a drive belt tensioner or pulley. Timing belt tensioner or pulley.
AC compressor would be my last guess. They can be noisy but fail more due to the clutch.

Also check the headlight wiper motors. If they get stuck they can really make a growling sound.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Oceans60R)

Quote, originally posted by Oceans60R »
Could also be the air pump or the vacuum pump or the Cooling fan stuck on high. Those three things I've heard described as a vacuum noise before.

Could even be a drive belt tensioner or pulley. Timing belt tensioner or pulley.
AC compressor would be my last guess. They can be noisy but fail more due to the clutch.

Also check the headlight wiper motors. If they get stuck they can really make a growling sound.

i guess ill just have to do a little more investigating on this, ill check it out more in depth tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
if its the sound of a groan and when you turn the steering wheel, could be the power steering pump. I think I have the same noise. When you go to the dealer, update us because I cant get an appointment anytime soon.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I had a similar noise this winter. It only happ ened for one day. A buzzing type sound from the lower front of the car somewhere underneath the air intake box. Can you pinpoint where the noise is coming from?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (QnsMostWanted)

Quote, originally posted by QnsMostWanted »
if its the sound of a groan and when you turn the steering wheel, could be the power steering pump. I think I have the same noise. When you go to the dealer, update us because I cant get an appointment anytime soon.

uhh....no.... that is your power steering pump though its a common problem, but not mine.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I dont believe its the headlight wipers because I had this problem a while ago (dont ask how but the dealer had installed the wipers backwards....) and i know what that sounds like. the cooling fan stuck on high would probably have a continuous sound im thinking, but this is on short intervals, so i am leaning away from that

got another sound comparisson from my little brother "it sounds like using a whipped cream can"...a little silly, but possibly helpful?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (kmagnuss)

Quote, originally posted by kmagnuss »
Tell your brother to stop doing whippets.

JK... unless he does. Then he needs to stop. Nancy Reagan said so.

i think he just wanted a sundae.......ill be sure to let him know the dangers of such activities, maybe sit him down and make him watch a film on them.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Re: (2004volvos60R)

Hmmm, I've never had "Sounds like my brother doing whip-its"

Tell your brother stop doing whip-its under your hood

Maybe a hose came off the vacuum pump or an intercooler hose leaking or a vacuum leak. Just some suggestions.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Maybe a hose came off the vacuum pump or an intercooler hose leaking or a vacuum leak. Just some suggestions.
thats what I sort of figured at first, but i cant seem to find a hose thats off and its running fine, so im at a loss here

1 - 17 of 17 Posts