SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving back and forth today and the car was acting fine.

Until, I was trying to get on the highway since I was on the shoulder.

So, I floored it a bit since rt17 is ridiculous.

After decelerating, the auto tranny has been lagging.

You gotta put the gas pedal almost to the floor to get it to 20mph.

It's hassle for the car now to get to 5th gear.

I have to sport shift it to get it there.

What happened?

I am so mad I baby this car and then one time I hit the gas slightly hard this happens.

I disconnected the battery to see if the car resets itself by tomorrow.

Is there any other solution to this problem?

Thanks for looking.

btw car has 119k

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
It sounds to me like the car overboosted when you floored it trying to merge and the car went into limp mode. Do you have a boost gauge installed?

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds to me like the car overboosted when you floored it trying to merge and the car went into limp mode. Do you have a boost gauge installed?
No I do not.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Do you have a stage 2 tune that takes into account the EST downpipe upgrade?
Have you ever messed with the wastegate?
Have you done anything recently that may have caused a boost leak, I.e. taken any of the intake piping apart?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Yup limp mode

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a stage 2 tune that takes into account the EST downpipe upgrade?
Have you ever messed with the wastegate?
Have you done anything recently that may have caused a boost leak, I.e. taken any of the intake piping apart?
No tune.

This past summer did a new oem turbo, fmic, snabb intake, and forge cbv.

Never messed with wastegate.

Also when this happened tonight I did not get the reduced engine performance indicator.

Does that mean there is another way for the R to be in limp mode without it being indicated?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You need a vida scan.

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
That's the only way this can be fixed?

Through vida?
The VIDA scan isn't going to fix the problem, but it will at least let you know what, if any, codes have been stored, which should give you an idea of the underlying cause(s).

And, yes, it is totally possible to end up in limp mode without a CEL or any warning messages. It's more than likely that resetting the ecu (via disconnecting the battery or pulling the appropriate fuses) will clear most, if not all, of the code(s) and get you out of limp mode, but it's also equally likely that this same scenario will repeat itself again and again until you address the underlying issue(s).

It's quite possible that all of the mods that you've made to improve airflow (intake, FMIC, DP) are allowing the turbo to spool up quicker, thus allowing the car to overshoot it's boost target. When that happens, the car may conclude that it no longer has control over the boost level and it will put the car in limp mode. This issue may only be showing up now due to the colder weather (colder air is denser).

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The VIDA scan isn't going to fix the problem, but it will at least let you know what, if any, codes have been stored, which should give you an idea of the underlying cause(s).

And, yes, it is totally possible to end up in limp mode without a CEL or any warning messages. It's more than likely that resetting the ecu (via disconnecting the battery or pulling the appropriate fuses) will clear most, if not all, of the code(s) and get you out of limp mode, but it's also equally likely that this same scenario will repeat itself again and again until you address the underlying issue(s).

It's quite possible that all of the mods that you've made to improve airflow (intake, FMIC, DP) are allowing the turbo to spool up quicker, thus allowing the car to overshoot it's boost target. When that happens, the car may conclude that it no longer has control over the boost level and it will put the car in limp mode. This issue may only be showing up now due to the colder weather (colder air is denser).
Thank You Very Much.

Just curious if you have a tune regardless of mods, is it still possible to get limp mode?

·
Registered
15 Posts
To take your r out of boost mode just pull fuses 6 & 23 and try to start the car for 10 seconds. ( it won't start) put the fuses back in and she will be out of limp mode, had the same thing happen to me from over bossing from a faulty tcv. Take it easy on the car for about 20 miles as the ecu is re learning how the car works.

·
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To take your r out of boost mode just pull fuses 6 & 23 and try to start the car for 10 seconds. ( it won't start) put the fuses back in and she will be out of limp mode, had the same thing happen to me from over bossing from a faulty tcv. Take it easy on the car for about 20 miles as the ecu is re learning how the car works.
I actually disconnected the battery overnight and the ecu reset itself.

It's not in limp mode anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts